Extension / Field Officer at Nigerian Association of Women in Agriculture (NAWIA)
Nigerian Association of Women in Agriculture (NAWIA) is a non-governmental, non-religious and non-profit, women-led organization working with rural smallholder farmers especially women to strengthen their capacities for attaining improved livelihoods, leadership, and better living conditions. NAWIA works in building the capacities of smallholder farmers on good agricultural practices, entrepreneurship skills, and development as well as helping them to adopt climate-smart agricultural techniques for increased productivity, Policy advocacies on gender rights, GBV, women's governance, government accountability, increased investments in agriculture, and women and youth empowerment is one of the focus areas of the organization.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Extension / Field Officer
Locations: Benue, Kaduna, Niger, and Plateau (with occasional travels to other states)
Employment Type: Full-time
Slots: 12 Openings (3 per state)
Contract Duration: 1 year
- We are currently implementing a Trust Africa Grant and is recruiting Extension / Field Officers to work on a component of the project. The vacancy positions are open in Benue, Kaduna, Niger, and Plateau States. All qualified persons are invited to send in applications while female applicants are strongly advised to apply.
- The Extension/Field officers will work on the “WASH and Financial inclusion (VSLA)” component of the project.
- The Extension / Field Officer is responsible for organizing farmers into groups and capturing them into the organization’s database for better administration of intervention activities.
Duties / Responsibilities
- Organize farmers into groups and capture them on the organization’s database.
- Train the groups on VSLA methodology and oversee their activities.
- Capture and report on monthly basis, the financial records, and performances of the groups using the tools made available.
- Maintaining positive relationships with farmers and their communities to enhance NAWIA’s positive reputation.
- To encourage farmers to adopt better practices through exposure to new knowledge, information, skills, inputs, and processes to improve the long-term performance of their farms.
- To serve as a representative of NAWIA in the community of work.
- To work with the project supervisor to ensure all necessary data have been collected appropriately.
- Prepare and submit monthly reports on the progress of activities.
- To conduct and supervise the dissemination of information, skills, and techniques to farmers based on the NAWIA’s protocol.
- To demonstrate the right usage and application of agro-inputs on farms.
- To distribute and account for all inputs delivered to all farmers in your operational area.
- To improve the long-term performance of farmers' by increasing their capacity to adopt and apply better practices through exposure to new knowledge, information, skills, inputs, and procedures; with guidance from the Office.
- A Bachelor's Degree, HND or ND in Agricultural Extension, Business Management, Agricultural Economics, or any related field.
- Minimum of 1 year of relevant experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Applicant must own and be able to operate an android phone.
- Applicant must be resident within the community of work
- Ability to set up and engage in virtual meetings
- Age: 20 - 35 years old.
As the Extension/Field Officer, you'll need to show:
- Strong communication, presentation and liaison, and interpersonal skills
- Keen interest and knowledge of farming.
- Ready to visit farmers within your operational area.
- An open, flexible, and innovative working style
- Ability to take initiative and work without constant supervision.
- Special skills or expertise in working with rural dwellers.
- Must be able to communicate fluently in English and the local language.
- Willingness and ability to ride or board a motorbike.
- Knowledge of, and experience in the application of good agricultural practices (GAP).
- Knowledge of climate-smart agriculture, WASH, and Financial inclusion in the rural concept.
- Ability to integrate and work within rural areas and farming communities.
USD130 - USD145/month.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Resume and Cover Letter as one PDF or word document (max 3pages) to: [email protected] using the Job Title and Preferred State (eg: NAWIA Extension / Field Officer - Kaduna) as the subject of the email.
Note: Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews
Application Deadline 15th September, 2022.