Finance Officer at the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies is the world's largest humanitarian network and is guided by seven Fundamental Principles: Humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, universality and unity.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance Officer
Employment Type: Full-time
- The purpose of the Finance Officer (FO) role is to work with the Finance Manager (FM) and assist to account, monitor, control, manage and report Norwegian Red Cross (NorCross) funds and budgets at the country level through results-based project management and risk management.
- The Finance Officer (FO) will be contracted by the IFRC with whom NorCross has established an Integration Agreement. The Finance Officer will be under the direct supervision of the NorCross Finance Manager (FM) in Nigeria and also report functionally to the NorCross Regional Finance Unit and Manager in Nairobi.
- In her/his capacity as Finance Officer, s/he is responsible to ensure that all NorCross project expenses are implemented in accordance with the Project Agreements and accounts maintained in line with Norwegian Red Cross policies and procedures and comply with NorCross contractual obligations.
- This position is based within the Norwegian Red Cross country office in Abuja, Nigeria.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate and prepare monthly cash forecasts for the NorCross supported projects in Nigeria.
- Coordinate transfer of funds to the relevant NRCS branches
- Receives the clearance documents from branches and prepare monthly reconciliation.
- Liaise with NRCS Branch Finance Officers to ensure timely submission of their financial documents.
- Participate in the monthly financial follow-up meeting.
- Maintain the consolidated accounting records for the projects/branches supported.
- Be responsible for maintaining the filing of all accounting documents submitted by the branches
- Assist NRCS counterparts to prepare ad hoc budget requests (Trainings, field trip, etc.)
- Prepare a weekly list of outstanding WADs and dispatch them to the field.
- Verify the validity of invoices, ensure proper level of approvals and make timely cash payment.
- Ensure that financial returns submitted by the branches and in accordance with SRCS and funding partners’ regulations as per contractual obligations.
Management of cash:
- Be responsible for managing the Petty Cash box for Nigeria Country office expenses.
- Make cash payments for various expenses and make the relevant entries in the cash book as per SRCS financial procedures.
- Submit the final Bank order request to the Finance Manager for final validation.
- Prepares the monthly bank reconciliation for review and approval by finance director.
- Ensure that monthly cash counts are documented and witnessed by a third-party
- On a daily basis submit cash control and cash statement to the Finance Manager.
- Prepare monthly Bank order (funds send to all branches)
Filing and Archiving:
- In charge all the all filing of Finance department
- File all current accounting vouchers in an orderly manner.
- Ensure all copies of vouchers after accounting closure are filed in an orderly manner after dispatch of the originals to funding partners.
- Archiving of all financial documents for the stipulated period
- Provide technical support to Programme Officers supervising implementation of NorCross funded projects at Borno and Benue.
- Ensure the branches have the necessary equipment and tools for bookkeeping/accounting.
- Assist to disseminate the Finance procedures and policies including the anti-corruption and fraud policies to the branches and to the project staff.
- Assist Finance Manager to follow up and implement of audit recommendations.
- Travel regularly to project sites and branches to provide support.
- Participate in the training needs assessment for the branches supported.
- Ensure branches are following the standard and agreed financial procedures and policies.
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Finance or equivalent.
- Master's Degree in Finance or Accounting.
- Minimum of 2 years of work experience in a similar function
- Experience and good knowledge of key accounting software packages.
- Experience working in the humanitarian sector.
Knowledge, Skills and Languages
- Maintains high standards of integrity
- Good organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to take initiative and work both in the team and independently
- Capacity to treat information confidentially
- Resistant to stressful situations, patience, perseverance, adaptability, self-confidence
- Able to work independently and meticulously
- Good rigor, method, and analytical skills
Competencies, Values and Comments:
- National Society relations
- Communication - Teamwork
- Professionalism – Integrity - Diversity
- Results focus and accountability.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 25th February, 2024.