Financial Management Analyst at the U.S. Embassy
The U.S. Mission to Nigeria comprises of the Embassy in Abuja, FCT, and the Consulate General in Lagos. U.S. Consulate General Lagos is the Mission’s representative to the Nigerian people in the southern region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Financial Management Analyst
Announcement Number: Abuja-2022-137RA-2
Hiring Agency: Embassy Abuja
Promotion Potential: LE-9
Series/Grade: LE - 0450 9
Work Schedule: Full-time - 40 hours per week
- Hiring Path: Open to the public
- Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
- For USEFM - FP is 05/1. Actual FP salary determined by Washington D.C.
- Current Employees of the Mission - This includes U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs); Eligible Family Members (EFMs); Declared Members of Household (MOHs), dependents of U.S. Personal Services Contract (USPSC) who are assigned under COM - All Agencies
- Security Clearance Required: Public Trust - Background Investigation
- Appointment Type: Permanent
- Appointment Type Details: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
- The work schedule for this position is: Full-time (40 hours per week)
- Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Supervisory Position: No
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: No
- This position reports to the Financial Specialist in the Financial Management Center and is responsible for the financial planning and budget formulation. Incumbent analyses and review funding authorizations for approximately 26 budgets for Mission Nigeria agencies.
- The Financial analyst does not have any supervisory responsibility but mentors two management analyst positions in the section.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent in Accounting, Finance, Economics or Business Administrative is required.
- Minimum of five (5) years progressive work experience in budget and/or financial matters is required.
- Expert knowledge of FAM/FAH, FTR/JFTR, DSSR, Appropriation Law, and other USG regulations governing accounting and budgeting is required.
- Ensures correct interpretation and application of regulations and procedures and decisions to be followed in the accounting and budgeting process is required.
- Expert knowledge in dealing with the Local Guard contract, the AIICO pension fund, and business operations of AERA and the American International School is required,
- Fluent speaking/reading/writing of English is required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Good interpersonal relationship and team spirit is required, Ability to articulate and resolve complex issues, ability to work under pressure; as well as ability to recommend appropriate adjustment to financial plan is required.
- Ability to effectively utilize computers and financial software, and advanced administrative, problem solving, and analytical skills is required.
- Ability to communicate effectively - oral and written is required.
- Must be proficient in the use of Microsoft office and excel.
- Other skills/abilities required for this position is proficiency in the use of computers, typing where accuracy is of critical importance and very high-level numerical skills.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
- For the current COVID-19 Requirements please visit the following link.
Hiring Preference Selection Process:
- Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), Letter from Veterans’ Affairs which indicates the present existence of a service-connected disability dated within the past six months, equivalent documentation, or certification.
- A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 3rd April, 2023,
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
- To apply for this position, click “APPLY TO THIS VACANCY” button at the top of the page. Click on the “Submit Application” button to complete your application process. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
To qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested degree and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. Failure to provide requested information, or the information is insufficient to verify eligibility, may result in disqualification for this position.
- Residency and/or Work Permit
- Degree (not transcript)
- NYSC Certificate/Exclusion/Exemption
Eligible Family Member Applicants:
- Copy of Sponsor's Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- DD-214 - Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
Important Information and Notice
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information - the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
- Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria