Job descriptions Sample Templates How to do it yourself Words and Meanings Interview questions and answersJobs > Oil and Gas > Head, Petroleum Studies Department Recent Job at Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC)
Head, Petroleum Studies Department Recent Job at Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC)
Mar 2, 2017, 11:22 AM
Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) - We coordinate and unify the petroleum policies of its Member Countries and ensure the stabilization of oil markets in order to secure an efficient, economic and regular supply of petroleum to consumers, a steady income to producers and a fair return on capital for those investing in the petroleum industry. Job Title: Head, Petroleum Studies Department Job Summary
- Within the Research Division, the Petroleum Studies Department provides pertinent and reliable information and analyses in support of decision-making and policy-making in Member Countries;
- Carries out, on a continuous basis, research programmes and studies on short-term petroleum market developments with the aim of issuing reports on a regular (i.e. daily, weekly, monthly and bi-monthly) as well as ad hoc basis highlighting important issues for their use and consideration;
- Conducts regular forecasts, elaborates and analyses oil market scenarios and prepares and publishes reports on these findings; promotes OPEC views and technical analysis on short-term oil market developments to the industry at large and general public via the OPEC Monthly Oil Market Report (especially the feature article) as well as other reports, presentations and related pod casts and prepares and contributes to reports to be submitted to the ECB, the BOG and the MMSC as well as papers for various OPEC publications.
- The Head of Petroleum Studies Department is to plan, organise, coordinate, manage and evaluate the work of the Petroleum Studies Department in accordance with the work program and programmed budget of the Department so as to optimize its support to the Secretariat in achieving its overall objectives.
- The work covers short-term studies and analyses, as well as periodic reports on the international oil market, in particular oil supply and demand, stock, refinery products as well as petroleum trade and transport and economic analyses of oil price and related financial issues.
- Plans, organizes, coordinates, manages and evaluates the work in the Petroleum Studies Department covering:
- World oil market developments in the short-term;
- Short-term forecasting, with particular attention to the impact of world economic and financial market developments;
- Oil supply and demand in the short-term;
- Oil stock movements;
- Oil prices, its volatility and fluctuation;
- Refinery operations and capacity development;
- Trade and transportation;
- Major oil companies’ operational performance and other determining factors of the oil market as well as crude oil/product markets assessments;
- Preparation of the periodic reports, in particular the Monthly Oil Market Report and Daily Oil Market Report.
- Develops and maintains adequate forecasting and modelling for oil market research.
- Ensures full responses to requests by the Conference, BOG, ECB and standing committees for studies and special reports relevant to the work program of the Department.
- Arranges presentations at relevant OPEC meetings and international forums representing the Secretariat as required.
- Develops and maintains networks with external experts and institutions in fields relating to the work of the Department.
- Keeps the Director of Research Division fully informed on all aspects of the work of the Department, and draws his attention to important analyses performed by it.
- Evaluates the performance of the staff of the Department and recommends to the Director of Research Division, staff development, salary increase, promotion and separations as appropriate.
- Ensures that the staff of the Department receive the supervision and guidance necessary to broaden and deepen their skills and continuously improve their performance.
- Prepares the annual budget for the Department.
- Carries out any other tasks assigned to him/her by the Director, Research Division.
- Advanced University Degree in Economics or equivalent subject.
- PhD preferred.
- Advanced degree: 12 years in the oil industry with a minimum of 4 years in a managerial position, preferably at large national, regional, or international institutions.
- PhD: 10 years.
- Short-term oil market
- Oil price forecasting
- Professional Management & Leadership
- Managerial & leadership skills
- Communication skills
- Decision making skills
- Strategic orientation
- Analytical skills
- Presentation skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Customer service orientation
- Negotiation skills
- Applicants must be nationals of Member Countries of OPEC and should not be older than 58 years
- Members of the Secretariat are international employees whose responsibilities are not national but exclusively international. In carrying out their functions they have to demonstrate the personal qualities expected of international employees such as integrity, independence and impartiality.
- The post is at grade B reporting to the Director of Research Division. The compensation package, including expatriate benefits, is commensurate with the level of the post.
Subscribe to Free Job Alerts!
Being aware and applying for jobs on time increases your chances of getting a job. Information is key. Subscribe to our free job alerts