Job descriptions Sample Templates How to do it yourself Words and Meanings Interview questions and answersJobs > International / Multinational > Job for a Deputy Team Leader at Palladium International
Job for a Deputy Team Leader at Palladium International
Sep 23, 2019, 9:29 PM
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits. For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives. We are recruiting to fill the position below: Job Title: Deputy Team Leader - PLANE Nigeria Location: Nigeria Project Overview and Role Nigeria faces a learning crisis. Literacy rates are low, and lower still for marginalised children. It has the largest number of primary-aged children out of school in the world. Public investment in education is insufficient, and millions of children are failing to learn the basics. Improving participation of marginalised children in schooling, and ensuring children learn when in school, is critical to avert a demographic crisis and meet the SDG commitments. PLANE is a DFID funded education programme aimed at influencing policy making and strengthening education systems at all levels. The programme is set to run for 8 years (2019-2027) in Kano, Kaduna, Jigawa and selected Southern states, and is valued at up to £90m. PLANE’s overall objective is to enable a more inclusive and effective state and non-state systems to deliver foundational skills to all children through:
- Improved teaching techniques, learning approaches and materials
- Improved state systemspersonnel management, planning and financial management
- Improved performance of non-state systems/actors to delivering basic education
- Effective mining and communication of results to allow for citizen engagement and education service delivery
- Bring and manage strong working relationships with the programme’s contact points at all levels of the Government, national agencies and the private sector; DFID and other donor programmes; project partners and other stakeholders.
- Represent the programme both with DFID in-country and other DFID offices, and external audiences as needed, including with national and global communities of practice.
- Develop strong working relationships and a regular dialogue on programme progress and challenges with Palladium and the programme steering committee.
- Lead on the development of the Theory of Change and an adaptive approach to deliver a politically smart programme in cooperation and consultation with the Team Lead, technical advisors, Project Director, DFID, project partners, the government and other key stakeholders.
- Maintain a strong working relationship with the Team Lead and Project Director and reach a consensus on PLANE’s overarching, as well as component specific, technical approach and direction.
- Support the Team Lead and the Project Director in the preparation of work plans and budgets; staffing plans; performance improvement plans and other plans as required.
- Provide guidance, oversight and quality assurance for all project activities, outputs and deliverables.
- Support the Team Lead in overseeing the effective implementation of work plans to ensure delivery is on time, within budget, meets Client and stakeholder expectations and is contractually compliant
- Develop and implement plans for results measurement, monitoring and evaluation, knowledge management, value for money analysis and communication management.
- Ensure good staff management practices including staff planning, recruitment, on-boarding, appraisal and development.
- Monitor implementation progress; maintain up to date project logs and registers; work to resolve issues, manages and mitigates risks; and escalate material issues and risks as appropriate.
- Ensure the project provides and demonstrates Value for Money.
- Assume responsibility for consistent implementation of company Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and Guidelines, Security Protocols and, where applicable, recommends modifications.
- Ensure the programme adheres to the budget and oversee budget variations and contract amendments.
- Relevant Academic qualification in a related field
- A passion for education in Nigeria
- A known relationship broker who can navigate different agendas and build coalitions leveraging his/her existing relationships with influential stakeholders in the government, the private sector and the civil society
- Ability to speak, read and write in English. Fluency in other national and local languages is an advantage.
- An intricate knowledge of the context of basic education policy development, planning and delivery in Nigeria
- An understanding of the power dynamics and the political economy of the education reform in Nigeria, gained during years of working on education advocacy, policy development, planning and/or delivery
- Experience working in management and leadership positions on large donor (preferably DFID) funded programmes
- Strong expertise in leading complex programmes, including managing complex, inter-disciplinary teams and mentoring senior members of staff
- A creative, lateral thinker willing and able to adapt and try different approaches
Subscribe to Free Job Alerts!
Being aware and applying for jobs on time increases your chances of getting a job. Information is key. Subscribe to our free job alerts