Job descriptions Sample Templates How to do it yourself Words and Meanings Interview questions and answersJobs > Health / Medical > Job Recruitment at Medecins Sans Frontieres, 6th December, 2019
Job Recruitment at Medecins Sans Frontieres, 6th December, 2019
Dec 6, 2019, 10:19 AM
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an independent international medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid in more than 60 countries to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural or man-made disasters or exclusion from healthcare. We are recruiting to fill the position below: Job Title: Counselor-educator Code: MT03400 Location: Pulka, Borno Reports to: Mental Health Activities Manager Reports to (functional): Mental Health Activities Manager Area: Medical Contract Duration: 6 Month Level: 5 Starting Date: 2nd January, 2020 Main Purpose
- Perform counseling and/or education sessions to patients, following different medical and mental health MSF protocols and procedures, in order to improve their pychosocial condition.
- Identify the psychosocial, socio-economic and administrative needs for patients
- Actively promote the availability of counselling services and carry out, individual or in group counseling, basic psycho educational sessions, to patients, their families (when needed), in order to alleviate their psychosocial difficulties within the project scope.
- Refer patients to other specialists or other institutions for further assistance, when necessary in order to propose the best support available.
- Participate in the creation of any material needed for counseling activities and look after it,
- Keep files and statistics of daily activities and participate in team meetings to share experiences and discuss special cases with other counselors, preserving confidentiality
- Inform line manager of any problem of any kind arising during the day-to-day activities.
- Take active part in trainings, supervisions/intervisions and support the activities manager when necessary in doing sensitization for MSF staff or external partners about mental health /psychosocial issues.
- Discuss difficulties and problems in counseling with supervisor
- Education: Counseling, Social Work, Psychology or other similar Degree/Diploma
- Experience: 1 year experience essential. Experience with NGO desirable
- Languages: English and Hausa
- Knowledge: Essential computer literacy ( word, excel and internet)
- Competencies: Results, teamwork, flexibility, commitment, service, computer skills
- Providing psychological support to patients according to MSF principles, standards and procedures in order to improve the patients’ mental health.
- Carrying out evaluation of mental health needs of patients and establishing a diagnosis and a plan of treatment. Informing the patient and his/her relatives about the possible consequences of the illness and the drug treatment to follow and referring patients to other health professionals whenever necessary, in order to provide the most appropriate treatment and improve the patient's condition
- Implementing the Sexual Gender Based Violence (SGBV) protocol, identifying possible victims of SGBV and referring them to the medical team so that they receive the necessary treatment.
- Providing psychological support and psychotherapy sessions (individual, family, group) to patients according to MSF protocols in order to improve their mental health conditions
- Assisting and training staff members and resourceful people whenever necessary in order to enhance the scope of MH activities. Working in close collaboration with translators in order to ensure appropriate terminology and behaviour during sessions
- Collecting statistical and monitoring data about mental health activities
- Informing the supervisor and the medical team about any issues or problems that may arise related to patients’ treatment in order to provide the best possible solution from a medical perspective
- Ensuring that all patient information is kept confidential.
- Supervision of counsellor educators, and other mental health activities especially in the camps & communities on daily basis.
- Facilitate clinical counselling supervision sessions in collaboration with MHAM to the counsellors.
- Essential degree or diploma in Psychology.
- Essential 2 years’ experience minimum as a Psychologist
- Desirable previous experience with MSF or other NGO’s in developing countries
- English and Hausa
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet)
- Results and Quality Orientation L2, Teamwork and Cooperation L2, Behavioural Flexibility L2, Commitment to MSF Principles L2 , Stress Management L3.
- Supervising the daily logistics activities and providing maintenance to the MSF equipment, facilities and infrastructures, according to MSF standards and protocols in order to maintain the facilities in perfect conditions and collaborate in the development of the mission.
- Monitoring maintenance activities of infrastructures, management of non-medical stocks and equipment according to MSF standards
- Coordinating and leading the logistics team under his/her responsibility which includes daily supervision, monitoring of the quality of work and the definition of each person's task, drawing up their working schedules;
- organizing and leading team meetings; participating in the recruitment of team personnel and attending logistics meetings and accounting for his activities
- Assists the logistics and medical teams in their identification, implementation and monitoring of the Water, Hygiene and Sanitation activities in health structures according to the protocols of MSF (e.g. essential Water and Sanitation requirements for the health facilities)
- Assist the WHS project in the implementation of Water, Hygiene and Sanitation activities outside of health structures according to the protocols of MSF ( e.g Public Health engineering in emergencies)
- Ensuring the check and follow-up of facilities under the line manager's supervision through daily visits to the facilities and reporting any anomalies or problems, evaluation of the rehabilitation needs and following up minor building rehabilitation work according to supervisor's instructions;
- Checking that premises observe security norms and monitoring the consumption of mechanical and electrical vehicles/machines/devices
- Planning together with the line manager the required checks and maintenance activities of energy systems/set-up according to MSF standards
- Assist in performing the physical organization of materials and tools used in water, hygiene and sanitation activities outside of health structures in particular: Inventory of stocks.
- Receiving and processing orders for water, sanitation and hygiene material. Check that the amounts received and record. Check monthly consumptions.
- Ensure there is adequate water supply quality and quantity of water for the hospital.
- Follow up and conduct the routine preventive maintenance for biomedical and cold chain equipment
- Keep the maintenance chronogram of biomed equipment up to date
- Keep an up to date inventory of all MSF assets in the hospital by updating the MARMOTA section dedicated to hospital and by keeping a complete list of assets not in the MARMOTA
- Participate in the logistics reporting weekly and monthly by compiling the logistics activities report and submitting to the Logistics Manager timely (PUNTO INFO, SITREP, MECHANICAL FOLLOW UP…)
- Proactively perform all rehabilitation works in the hospital and follow up on all new construction by ensuring the construction meets the contract requirement and by providing regular photo updates to the Manager Perform any additional task given by your line manager
- Education: Essential secondary education and formal technical training
- Experience: At least one year in MSF or 2 years in a similar post out of MSF
- Languages: English and Hausa, Desirable - Mandra, Kanuri
- Results and Quality Orientation - L2
- Teamwork and Cooperation - L2
- Behavioural Flexibility - L2
- to MSF Principles - L2
- Stress Management - L3
- Only short-listed applicants will be contacted
- Applications are non-returnable. Do not submit original certificates or credentials.
- MSF Encourages Women and People with Disability Status to Apply.
Subscribe to Free Job Alerts!
Being aware and applying for jobs on time increases your chances of getting a job. Information is key. Subscribe to our free job alerts