Job descriptions Sample Templates How to do it yourself Words and Meanings Interview questions and answersJobs > Agricultural / Agro-Allied > Job Vacancies at One Acre Fund, 15th October, 2019
Job Vacancies at One Acre Fund, 15th October, 2019
Oct 15, 2019, 10:28 PM
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms more productive. We provide quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural trainings to improve harvests. We measure our success by our ability to make farmers more prosperous: On average, farmers harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund. We serve more than 800,000 farm families in Eastern and Southern Africa, with more than 7,500 full-time staff, and we aim to serve 1 million farm families by 2020. We are recruiting to fill the position below: Job Title: Government Relations Officer Location: Minna, Niger Duration: Full-time job. Preferred Start Date: As soon as possible Job Description
- One Acre Fund is a rapidly growing organization; increasing the number of clients we serve in each year and the number of countries in which we operate. One Acre Fund is seeking a Government Relations Officer (GRO) to be based in Minna, who will serve as the primary point of contact for the local Ministry of Agriculture and other government officials, traditional leaders and external stakeholders, helping to establish our program in Nigeria.
- This role will be reporting to the One Acre Fund’s Government Relations Analyst based in Abuja, as well as to the Nigeria Country Manager based in Minna. The successful applicant will demonstrate a strong understanding of local government structures, a strong work ethic, have an interest in agriculture, be prepared to travel regularly in Niger State and be a clear and effective communicator.
- Engage stakeholders and local government officials of all levels with a view to deepening and broadening One Acre Fund’s local government network in Nigeria.
- Create project plans and budgets, and effectively manage concurrent projects
- Support the scoping, development and management of program partnerships, with support from manager.
- Produce communications materials to engage key contacts and keep them informed of our work, including quarterly reports, briefing notes and official written correspondence.
- Provide trainings to One Acre Fund staff on best practices for working with government officials, and other capacity building support, as needed.
- Track and manage risks and issues from local government affecting field operations.
- Track and manage One Acre Fund’s database of key contacts and interactions in Nigeria.
- Host key stakeholder events (e.g. field visits) and oversee participation in agricultural shows and other external events. Ensure proper government protocols are observed at all hosted events.
- Assist program expansion through relationship management with relevant authorities in new or targeted areas of operation.
- Track and (as needed) renew licenses and permits required for our operations.
- Research and analyze policies, regulations, programs and political developments relevant to field operations.
- Continually engage field leadership to remain informed of the latest developments with our program and trials, through:
- Regular attendance at FO/Field Leader Meetings
- Monthly meetings with Field Team and Innovations lead(s)
- Other duties, as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree from a recognized academic institution required. Candidates with graduate studies and degrees will be given additional consideration.
- Work experience in a demanding professional environment such as government, business or NGO.
- At least 1 year experience working in/with government or in community development roles
- At least 1 year experience managing government and/or stakeholder relationships
- Knowledge of sub-national Nigerian government and traditional structures is required.
- Must be a self-starter, capable of independent work, with strong adherence to deadlines
- Must be able to produce simple documents (emails, letters, etc.) and independently develop and use simple project tools and budgets
- Demonstrated computer skills in email, internet usage, and Microsoft Office
- Strong written and oral communication skills with good attention to detail
- A willingness to commit to living in Minna for a long-term position
- Leadership and management experience at work or outside of work
- Proven ability to set and meet targets
- Fluency in English and Hausa required.
- Passionate about serving smallholder farmers
- Experience working in agriculture and/or rural development
- Experience managing events
- Background in dealing with government officials at local and national levels
- Capacity to produce neat and timely written work for internal and external audiences
- Ability to communicate across teams, coordinate meetings, and make recommendations
- Experience managing people
Job Title: Nigeria Country Lead Location: Niger Duration: Full-time job. Preferred Start Date: 13th January, 2020 Team: New Country Expansion Location Type: Field Career Level: Early to mid-career professionals About the Job
- The Pilot Manager reports to the Director of Expansion and oversees strategy for the pilot program on its path from 1,200 farmers in 2020 to +10,000 farmers in 2023.
- To reach this goal, you will guide an impassioned team of motivated professionals to understand and meet farmer demand, and create meaningful impact.
- You excel in a start-up environment and handle evolving situations well, while developing the capacity of your team for future challenges; all while looking for new ways to improve the lives of Nigerian subsistence farmers.
- Determine the pilot's strategy in Niger State and set the long-term vision for One Acre Fund in Nigeria.
- Bottom-up planning to set program goals and track the metrics necessary to meet them
- Experiment with products, services, and tech-based innovations to maximize the impact our products have on farmers' lives
- Collaborate with global One Acre Fund teams for support and information sharing
- Build relationships with external partners and government entities for future collaboration
- Represent One Acre Fund Nigeria to external organizations
- Oversee the recruitment, onboarding, performance management and growth of the Nigeria Pilot team
- Directly manage 4-6 Associate-level team leaders
- Influence the culture of the program as it grows from 35 team members to +100
- Committed to the mission of eradicating food insecurity across Nigeria
- Willing to get your shoes muddy and work productively alongside anyone, from farmers to technical subject experts
- Use data to guide decisions and improve execution
- Experience collaborating across diverse teams and time-zones
- 6+ years of professional work experience in Nigeria, with experience leading diverse teams
- Experience in agri-business, new market unit, or a start-up environment in rural markets preferred
- Top-performing undergraduate background required; Master's Degree in Business Administration, International Development, Logistics or Supply Chain Management, Human Resource Management, or related fields preferred
- High proficiency with Google Suites, including Microsoft Excel (can perform complex functions)
- Fluency in English essential, fluency in Hausa preferred
- One Acre Fund has a culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people.
- You will have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals.
- You will directly shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
- Starts modest. However, this is a career-track role with fast raises for performance, paying a meaningful salary for long-term placement in our organization.
- Health insurance, 5 weeks paid leave and 7 days paid sick leave, relocation and housing compensation
- Yes - Nigerian candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Subscribe to Free Job Alerts!
Being aware and applying for jobs on time increases your chances of getting a job. Information is key. Subscribe to our free job alerts