Leadership and Development Officer at KwaraLEARN (Government of Kwara State)
KwaraLEARN (Leading Education Achievement and Reform Now) is a core new education programme by the Government of Kwara State to deliver dramatic improvements in learning outcomes in public schools for all children across Kwara State. KwaraLEARN will transform all government primary schools across the state into powerful public schools using an innovative technology and data-driven platform, coupled with high-quality learning materials, effective training and ongoing coaching for teachers and school leaders, and technology-enabled support teams to create 360-degree support for learning outcomes.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Leadership and Development Officer
- Working for the technical implementing partner for the programme, you will work towards preparing Kwara and its youth for a bright future with a strong educational foundation. Being part of this transformative programme will be a challenging but fulfilling experience. You will have the opportunity to impact young lives and help build the future of Kwara and Nigeria.
- The programme is one of the most exciting and ambitious education programmes not only in Nigeria, but also across Africa. A quality education has the power to transform the opportunities for Kwara's youth and the State. In joining us, you will join a group of dynamic and passionate Nigerians taking concrete action to help ensure a better future for the children of Kwara.
The Academic Group:
- The objective of the Academics group is to drive student achievement. To do so, we must know -- what is happening minute-by-minute for the typical child. The student’s daily experience, and thus the path to achievement, emerges from their relationship with the teachers and the content that is delivered in the classroom.
- Our team is collaboratively organized around these levers. We develop rigorous content pitched at the right level for students to be delivered by a teacher who is prepared to succeed in the classroom.
- Our Instructional Design department builds the content; our Leadership & Development department trains teachers and school leaders using scientifically-proven techniques; our Learning Innovation department looks at cutting-edge research to generate breakthrough learning gains. Underpinning all of this is the work of the independent Measurement and Evaluation group, which provides Academics with an empirical orientation toward improving that daily experience and, in turn, driving achievement.
Leadership & Development:
- In joining the Leadership & Development team you are joining the group charged with ensuring that our frontline staff are exceptional leaders who are energized and empowered to ensure the kids in their communities and classrooms receive an excellent education.
- The team is laser-focused on outcomes, inherently collaborative in nature, loves fostering leadership in others, is unwaveringly committed to ensuring a quality education for our pupils, are lifelong learners, and gets excited about creating incredible learning interventions that drive positive behaviour and mindset change in adults.
- You will flourish on this team if you are: a team player, hyper-focused on results, flexible in a dynamic environment, and have fun while working hard.
About the Role
- This role is responsible for effective and high quality implementation of training programs and ensuring that teachers are well-supported through the academic year for the designated new or existing NewGlobe territory that you are assigned.
- This role reports to the Manager, L&D in the territory.
What You will Do
- Establish School Inspection Procedures. The School Inspection Director is responsible for creating and implementing School Inspection procedures and methodologies after deeply understanding our processes.
- The School Inspection Director will measure, monitor, and analyse current processes, make recommendations for improvement and develop new solutions to enhance quality control. The School Inspection Director will use and continually improve the core audits and best practices already in place.
- Data gathering & analysis
- Gather reliable data consistently from classroom observations and coaching at school within the designated territory and report to the Shared Services L&D team.
- Analyse data from training and observations and share trends, insights with Schools and L&D Shared Services team for improvements.
- Be responsible for gathering all training data and preparing the training report to be shared with L&D Shared Services.
- In collaboration with Shared Services Academics, support the design and execution of pilot projects that seek to answer questions on training and coaching effectiveness which will eventually lead to process improvements for L&D.
Training & Support:
- Be well-equipped to train as an excellent facilitator who will deliver on the Leadership & Development vision for supporting teachers and school leaders in NewGlobe territories (existing or new)
- Visit classrooms regularly in between training for observing classroom teaching, coaching teachers and supporting school leaders to be effective instructional leaders.
- Participate actively in all activities leading up to the launch of the training under the guidance of L&D Manager ensuring all logistical and operational prerequisites are in place to ensure effective implementation of training.
- Work with the content design team in Cambridge through the Manager, L&D to support professional development of supervisors as needed by the Schools team.
What You Should Have
- A Bachelor’s Degree in any field. Degrees or certifications in Education would be a bonus.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience as a teacher. Any teacher training experience would be a bonus.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel is a must. PowerPoint, Word, and Google Suite knowledge will be a bonus.
- A detailed doer - You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company.
- A networking mastermind - You excel at meeting new people and turning them into advocates. You communicate in a clear, conscientious, and effective way in both written and oral speech. You can influence strangers in the course of a single conversation. Allies and colleagues will go to bat for your ideas. You have an existing network from prior experience in the country, preferably in the regulatory, education, or business sectors.
- A creative problem-solver - Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, KwaraLEARN works in often fragile, sometimes volatile low-resource communities and with complex government systems. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand.
- A relentless advocate - The children we serve and teachers we empower never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their benefit, experience, and value.
- A malleable learner - You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.
- A data-driven decision-maker - When making decisions, you don’t rely on your intuition alone. You collect data, you analyze it and make decisions with clear justifications.
- A curious investigator - You ask why a lot. You don’t just take what you see and accept it. You wonder why it is that way, and are aware that the world we see is created by human choices and actions - and it could be different. You wonder, and see the world as wonderful even when you want to change a part of it that is unjust.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 30th June, 2022.