Monitoring, Evaluation, Learning and Social Accountability (MELSA) Officer at Oxfam Nigeria
Oxfam is an international confederation of 17 organizations (affiliates) committed to creating a just world without poverty. In Nigeria Oxfam works in the areas of Economic Justice/Sustainable Livelihoods, Humanitarian Programming to save lives, Advancing Gender Justice and Good Governance, adopting a right based approach.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Monitoring, Evaluation, Learning and Social Accountability (MELSA) Officer
Requisition ID: 11408
Location: Abuja (with frequent travel to the field)
Internal Job Grade: D1
Job Family: Programme
Reports Directly to: Head of Quality and Compliance
Directly supervises: None
- The MELSA officer will cultivate a culture of learning within the project and ensure that lessons learnt from pilots and programme interventions are documented, shared between partners and with key stakeholders and contribute to national and global level learning and research.
- The staff is responsible for ensuring that Programme data on outputs and outcome progress is collected, analyzed and synthesized accurately and in a timely manner; supports training of Programme team and partners in quality data collection and management including use of data to inform decisions on the Programme priorities.
- S/he will ensure the implementation of a complete and coordinated MELSA of the Oxfam programme.
- The position holder will support the program teams and partners in Nigeria to define and implement a coordinated mechanism, based on the proposed Minimum MELSA standards.
- S/he will facilitate capacity building process of partners and Oxfam staff on knowledge, skills and competencies necessary for effective MELSA through training and coaching.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
MELSA Systems Management & Program Support:
- Supports to development and strengthening of the participatory MELSA system within the programme and ensure that the defined system incorporate the MELSA principles and both international and Oxfam programme standards.
- Participates in programme/project planning processes, particularly on logic of intervention (Develop logical frameworks and MELSA plans), and contributes to ensuring adherence to Oxfam’s programme quality standards.
- Support the planning of program/project learning review meetings
- Provides technical and specialist advice (on request and proactively) to the program team
- Lead the conduct of outcome harvesting to track impacts of projects being implemented.
- Work with ICT4D consultant to periodically update program management information system (MIS).
- Supports in timely implementation of monitoring framework and tools, to ensure quality and consistent information is available on programme performance and impact.
- Manages specific MELSA processes, methodologies and tools (including indicator tracking through specific management information systems) and reporting.
- Supports with the review of MELSA data quality, MELSA reports, evaluations, baselines, surveys and leads improvement of MELSA data quality and reporting from the field.
Capacity Building for Partner and Oxfam Staff:
- Supports programme teams in establishing knowledge creation and sharing and learning loops, through for instance production of case studies, presentation of key results for monitoring and evaluation activities, and facilitation of learning workshops
- Contribute to enhancing the knowledge and skills of Staff and partners on planning, monitoring, evaluation and learning, as well as creating support for (the use of) these instruments and tools
- Facilitate key MELSA learning events and processes; take initiatives to enable and ensure a strong on-going learning network across programs
- Support the development of MELSA plan of the projects implementation partners.
- Train Oxfam and Partner staff on MEL for influencing tools.
- Undertake periodic review of partners’ reports and ensure adherence to Oxfam policies and procedures on partner management.
- Develop templates for partner activity reporting
- Participate in partner Risk Management (PRISMA)
- Establishes/Strengthens the complaints and response mechanism (CRM) in each location on the highest levels of integrity which beneficiaries will trust and ensures that they can make confidential complaints and be confident of the response processes.
- Monitors complaints received and response (follow-up) processes through developing and maintaining a tracking mechanism.
- Participates in regular meetings with partner organisations to fully understands the context and operating environment; ensures that the working relationship between them and Oxfam is positive, open and conducive to the successful achievement of agreed objectives
Educational, Experience & Competence
- First Degree or equivalent in Statistics, Economics, Business Administration, other relevant qualification
- Minimum of 4 years “hands-on” working experience in designing learning, and monitoring systems; program work, including field experience and/or with institutional donors.
- Good knowledge and experience of learning, and capacity development/transfer in relation to managing donor grants or donor funded programmes.
- Critical focus on providing a superior service level to managers and colleagues and delivering agreed results within time and budget constraints and to expected standards.
- Good organizational and personal management skills, with ability to priorities work issues to meet deadlines with minimal supervision and adjust to constantly changing situations while maintaining focus on delivery and follow-through.
- Well-developed conceptual, critical, and analytical thinking with the ability to convey complex information in a straightforward, interesting way, and influencing this to a wider audience.
- Strong analytical skills and experience using a Computerized information management system (Ms. Word, Excel, Statistical analysis software etc.)
- Tech savvy with a strong level of IT Expertise and use of mobile survey/field data collection tools ODK, KoBoToolbox, GIS mapping, etc)
- Excellent in various statistical packages and softwares including SPSS, STATA, Excel, Access, etc
- Commitment to Oxfam’s overall aims and policies and experience of promoting women’s rights and the interests of marginalized people in all aspects of Oxfam’s work.
- Knowledge or appreciation of Nigeria in terms of its political, economic and social trends plus a good understanding of the key development and humanitarian issues in the region.
- Excellent personal communication skills, in written and verbal English.
- Proven awareness of professional standards, trends and issues affecting this set of responsibilities, demonstrating continuous learning.
- Ability to represent Oxfam in a professional and competent manner with external individuals and organisations.
- Proven experience working with partner organisations and helping them develop their independent expertise and ability to deliver results, through effective capacity building and learning and development activities.
- Knowledge and / or experience of common Oxfam norms objects, standards and tools
- Good knowledge and awareness of issues related to Oxfam’s strategic objectives and theories of change.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 19th April, 2022.