Office Assistant at Development Exchange Centre (DEC)
Development Exchange Centre (DEC) is a Non-Governmental Organisation that is non-partisan, non-profit and established in 1987. It is Incorporated by Trust with the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC)- (IT/Cert: 10826). The organization has an overarching mandate of providing socio-economic development services to women, groups, communities, and NGOs.
DEC’s Head Office is in Bauchi State, and it is currently operational in all Northern States of Nigeria including FCT, Enugu and Cross Rivers States, with a staff strength of 868 permanent employees. DEC’s socio-economic enhancement programmes cut across several sectors that touch the basic fabric of its target beneficiaries and includes education, health, economic/livelihoods, water/environment, good governance & peace building, and microfinance.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Office Assistant
Employment Type: Contract
Reports directly to: Finance Officer
- As part of its strategy and supported by Bread for the World-Germany (BftW), DEC will be implementing a 42-month project- “Small Scale Project Fund for Community Based Organizations (CBOs)”- with an overall goal of enhancing local organization’s capacities for sustainable development.
- The project aims to support CBOs by strengthening their systems and structures for organizational development, growth and sustainability; and support existing formal and informal CBOs working in selected sectors to implement their self-determined projects by providing technical and material resources.
- We are looking for an office assistant to take care of our office space and carry out cleaning, maintenance, and secretarial duties.
- S/he will ensure the cleanliness and safety of the office area and environment.
- S/he will also provide support for basic administration management, such as procurement and purchases.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Perform administration and secretarial functions.
- Receive partners, guests and attend to them.
- Assist in preparing for meetings (setting up venue, accommodation, and other required logistics).
- Document and file minutes of meetings.
- Perform general cleaning functions including removal of cobwebs as required and maintenance of the whole office.
- Empty trash cans and recyclables into disposal areas.
- Ensure adequate supplies within the facility.
- Replenish supplies in restrooms and kitchenette.
- Assist in the procurement process.
- Ensure timely purchase of supplies needed at the office.
- Identify, monitor, and report potential safety or maintenance issues and communicate them to the Administration Officer immediately.
- Comply with all safety policies and procedures relating to performance tasks, use of products and supplies.
- Early arrival to work to perform services to established standards and ensure office facility is locked and secured daily after work.
- Maintain and clean all cleaning equipment utilized.
- Accountable for all equipment and consumables entrusted to him/her.
- Be willing to take on new roles and tasks as needed and assigned.
- Notify the DEC-Admin Officer of occurring deficiencies or needs for repairs.
- Dust furniture, equipment, partitions, walls, windows etc. daily and weekly.
- Clean and disinfect sink, countertops, doors, floors, toilets, mirrors, tables, chairs, refrigerators, microwaves etc. in restrooms, offices, and kitchenette regularly.
- Sweep, mop, and/or hand scrub floors using brooms, mop daily.
- Any other general administrative duties as will be assigned.
- Minimum of OND / NCE.
- Minimum of 1 year in a related role.
- Smart, Neat with good communication skills.
- Ability to work flexible hours.
- Advanced knowledge of cleaning processes.
- Ability to work successfully in a cross-cultural, team-based environment.
- Basic knowledge of administrative processes.
- Basic computer knowledge/literacy (Microsoft Office, email, etc).
- Ability to communicate (speak, listen, read & write) in English language is required for this role.
- Agility and Stamina to work long hours.
This includes and not limited to:
- Good team player.
- Proactive; flexible approach to change.
- Client-focused; attention to detail.
- Professional approach.
- Enthusiasm for the role.
- Be honest and trustworthy.
- Be respectful.
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity.
- Be flexible.
- Demonstrate sound work ethics.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their detailed Curriculum Vitae and cover letter as one document (as an MS Word document)electronically to: [email protected] using their Name and Job Title. e.g. "Wale Aminu Ugo - Office Assistant" as the subject of the mail.
Application Deadline 7th October, 2022
- DEC is an equal opportunity employer.
- Only applications submitted through the given channel and within the given period will be considered.
- DEC brings to the attention of the public that applying for any position is free of charge. No processing fee is required for your application.
- You are not to give any kind of gratification to submit your application.
- Any person found to be paying for or giving any form of gratification will be disqualified. You are requested to report any person demanding/giving payment or gratification for either submitting or processing the forms via: [email protected].
- Only successful candidates will be contacted at every stage