Job descriptions Sample Templates How to do it yourself Words and Meanings Interview questions and answersJobs > International / Multinational > REACH GIS / Database Specialist Job at IMPACT Initiatives
REACH GIS / Database Specialist Job at IMPACT Initiatives
Jan 8, 2020, 11:55 AM
IMPACT Initiatives is a humanitarian NGO, based in Geneva, Switzerland. The organisation manages several initiatives, including the REACH Initiative. The IMPACT team comprises specialists in data collection, management and analysis and GIS. IMPACT was launched at the initiative of ACTED, an international NGO whose headquarter is based in Paris and is present in thirty countries. The two organizations have a strong complementarity formalized in a global partnership, enabling IMPACT to benefit from ACTED’s operational support on its fields of intervention.
We are currently looking for qualified candidates to support our REACH team in Nigeria in the capacity below:
Job Title: REACH GIS / Database Specialist Reference: 20/NGA/GISS01 Location: Maiduguri, Borno Starting Date: February 2020 Contract duration: 12 months
Background on IMPACT and REACH
- REACH was born in 2010 as a joint initiative of two International NGOs (IMPACT Initiatives and ACTED) and the United Nations Operational Satellite Applications Programme (UNOSAT). REACH’s purpose is to promote and facilitate the development of information products that enhance the humanitarian community’s decision making and planning capacity for emergency, reconstruction and development contexts. REACH facilitates information management for aid actors through three complementary services: (a) need and situation assessments facilitated by REACH teams; (b) situation analysis using satellite imagery; (c) provision of related database and (web)-mapping facilities and expertise.
- Under the supervision of the IMPACT Nigeria Country Coordinator and of IMPACT’s HQ in Geneva, the REACH GIS / Dabatase Specialist will be responsible for managing all processes and outputs related to REACH GIS, products and data, as well as information management systems, including web applications, in country. They will ensure regular communication with REACH assessment teams in country and with IMPACT HQ. They directly supervise all GIS and Database staff and contribute to the development and implementation of REACH strategy in Nigeria.
- During their mission, the REACH GIS/Database Specialist will be hosted by ACTED and will fall under the direct responsibility and management of ACTED’s Country Director and their delegates for all Administrative, Security, Logistics and Finance issues. They will therefore fully abide to ACTED’s Security, HR, Administration and Logistics rules and regulations.
- In coordination with the assessment manager/focal point(s), ensuring that assessments are planned in line with project and program objectives and with REACH’s research cycle and other relevant guidelines;
- Identification of available GIS data to inform secondary data review, in coordination with the assessment team;
- For each assessment, ensure contribution to and review of draft ToRs with a specific focus on the analysis plan, as well as data management plan, and related mapping;
- In coordination with Assessment team, co-construct qualitative and quantitative data collection tools, ensuring GIS requirements of research cycle/assessment are met;
- Develop geo-spatial analysis of assessment areas to be used, as relevant, in developing daily assessment plans, field movement plans and accompanying operational maps for field teams;
- Keep track of progress and delays of all GIS and relevant data- and information-management tasks throughout the research cycle. Ensure that delays or identified problems are reported by writing and orally in a timely manner.
- When relevant, ensure that support is provided by the GIS and Database team for the identification and training of enumerators for primary data collection;
- When relevant, ensure that support is provided by GIS and Database teams in overseeing data collection, in line with agreed TORs (including their Annexes), including spatial verification and validation as part of daily assessment checks;
- Ensure that collected data is geo-referenced, enabling the production of maps and related products;
- In coordination with the assessment team, ensure that all changes in data collection that lead to a modification in the agreed TORs are documented; and that the IMPACT Country Coordinator and IMPACT HQ are informed and agree on the modifications.
- Ensure that all collected data is stored in line with IMPACT’s Data Management Guidelines, and with the ToRs (data management plan Annex);
- Ensure that data and its spatial analysis are validated by IMPACT HQ before product drafting stage;
- Ensure that data and its analysis do not contain personal information and are validated by IMPACT HQ before sharing to external parties;
- Ensure the quality and accuracy of technical information provided as well as the confidentiality and protection of collected information.
- Ensure that data is revised and cleaned, and that all revisions are recorded;
- Ensure spatial analysis conducted on collected data as per ToRs;
- Ensure accurate linkages between spatial databases and assessment data;
- Review all products before they are sent to IMPACT HQ for validation;
- Ensure that all GIS products are validated by IMPACT HQ before external release;
- When relevant, in close coordination with IMPACT HQ, ensure regular maintenance and update of web GIS products;
- In coordination with the IMPACT Country Coordinator, manage the identification of satellite imagery and analysis needs in country, and liaise with IMPACT HQ on the procurement of UNOSAT services and satellite imagery.
- Ensures that the produced maps meet the requirements of IMPACT and concerned partners;
- Ensure regular communication maintained with IMPACT HQ on progress and deadlines for GIS products;
- Ensure the drafting of timely and accurate GIS products, which comply with IMPACT’s guidelines;
- Ensure the strictest confidentiality of data and data processes. The GIS/Database Specialist will actively take measures to prevent the unauthorized sharing of information and data;
- In coordination with IMPACT HQ, ensure that GIS products are uploaded on relevant data portals, as specified in Research ToRs;
- In coordination with IMPACT’s Country Coordinator and with the assessment team, ensure that lessons learned are gathered and documented at the end of each research cycle.
- Conduct regular meeting with all international and senior national GIS Team members to assess progress in all research cycles and to review work plan;
- In coordination with Country Coordinator, conduct induction for new staff members, and provide ongoing training for staff;
- Be available to provide regular support and technical backstopping;
- When relevant, support Country Coordinator in staff appraisal and recruitment process.
- As mentioned in the tasks above, reviewing and validating the GIS/Database unit staff work throughout research cycles (clean datasets, analysis scripts, maps, etc.)
- Bilateral management of international and senior national GIS team members, including (in consultation with IMPACT Country Coordinator) the conduct of appraisals, as well as participation in staff career management;
- Under the coordination of the IMPACT Country Coordinator, ensure that relevant partners are consulted and involved in the preparation of GIS products
- In coordination with the IMPACT Country Coordinator, engage in relevant technical fora in country (e.g. IM/GIS working groups);
- In support of the IMPACT Country Coordinator, engage with other organisations engaged with the maintenance of spatial data in Nigeria, ensuring IMPACT Geodatabases are up-to-date and in line with Common Operational Datasets (CODs) and Fundamental Operational Datasets (FODs)
- In coordination with the IMPACT Country Coordinator, support the presentation of GIS products to relevant third parties, to enhance their use and impact;
- GIS/IM gaps in country
- Synergies with other GIS and IM actors
- Dissemination strategies to strengthen the impact of our GIS and IM work
- Engagement with IMPACT HQ in global level GIS priorities.
- Mapping guidelines are systematically followed, in particular:
- Map templates consistently used
- Map validation process respected
- Data-related guidelines are systematically followed, in particular
- Research design templates used for data analysis plan, data management plan
- Process in place in line with global guidelines and best practices in terms of data quality and data checks
- Data validation process respected
- Average number of days between end of data collection and internal product validation
- Total number of maps receiving final validation
- Retention rate among supervised national and international staff
- Progression in performance of supervised staff
- GIS products support the research as designed and align to the analysis plan envisioned
- Data is handled according to the arrangements specified in the data management plan
- Regular communication is maintained with IMPACT HQ on progress and deadlines for GIS products
- Problems related to specific assessments are reported by writing and orally in a timely manner
- The REACH GIS / Database Specialist will maintain the strictest confidentiality on all data collected and related processes. They will actively take measures to prevent the unauthorized sharing of any information and data belonging to IMPACT and its partners, or collected during their assignment with IMPACT.
- Excellent academic qualifications, including a Master degree in relevant discipline and familiarity with the latest GIS-related software and approaches;
- At least 3 years of relevant working experience in humanitarian settings;
- Familiarity with the aid system, and understanding of donor and governmental requirements;
- Prior knowledge of the region an asset
- Fluency in English required
- Ability to operate statistical programming/coding software such as SPSS or R a strong asset;
- Ability to work independently.
- 1 year of relevant experience managing a team preferred;
- Excellent team management skills;
- Excellent communication and drafting skills for effective reporting;
- Ability to operate in a cross-cultural environment requiring flexibility;
- Salary defined by the IMPACT salary grid; educational level, expertise, hardship, security, and performance are considered for pay bonus
- Additional monthly living allowance provided in country by IMPACT’s partner ACTED
- Food and lodging provided at the organisation’s guesthouse / or housing allowance (depending on contract length and country of assignment)
- Transportation costs covered, including additional return ticket + luggage allowance
- Provision of medical, life, and repatriation insurance + retirement package.
How to Apply Interested and qualified candidates should: Click here to applyApplication Deadline 17th January, 2020.
Subscribe to Free Job Alerts!
Being aware and applying for jobs on time increases your chances of getting a job. Information is key. Subscribe to our free job alerts