Security Officer at Oxfam
Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty. Together we save, protect and rebuild lives. And we won’t stop until every person on the planet can defeat poverty or any type of inequality or discrimination.
We are an international confederation of 19 organizations (affiliates) working together with partners and local communities in the areas of humanitarian, development, and campaigning, in more than 90 countries.All our work is led by three core values: Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Security Officer
Req ID: 11248
Internal Job Grade: D2
Contract Type: Nine (9) Months
Job Family: Security
Reporting to: Project Coordinator
Staff reporting to this post: None
- The Security Officer provides technical support to the LINE Project teams in Bauchi State in the day-to day management of security for staff through monitoring of field trips, frequent security assessments, security advisories, security training for staff and security incident reporting.
Key Deliverables of this Position include:
- Safe / secure program delivery through proactive security management, general administration of local guards assigned to the project office and warehouses (where applicable).
- Documentation and reporting of all security incidents, liaison with local security agencies and security focal points of other INGOs in the State.
- The Security Officer will be exemplary in commitment to Oxfam core values, upholding its principles and policies.
- Ensure that State Project Management and Staff of Oxfam and Partners understands, and comply with Oxfam’s Safety and Security Policy and Standards.
- Undertake Security Risk Assessments for all project locations in either of Bauchi State, depending on location.
- Carry out day-to-day monitoring and assessment of security situations across all project locations and provide multiple advisories to Staff on daily basis.
- Develop training programs and deliver capacity building in safety and security for staff from time to time.
- Provide security management advice, guidance and support to the State Project Office operations in implementing action plans based on Oxfam’s Safety & Security Manager’s assessments and recommendations.
- Works as the focal point for Oxfam and Partners in Bauchi State in a network of other I/NGOs working in the State.
- Ensure that the Security Management Plan (SMP) developed for the State by Oxfam’s National Security Coordinator is strictly adhered to by all Staff at all times.
- Assess and evaluate country security guidelines and make recommendations for improvements using the Standards in Oxfam Policy and Standards for security management plans, evacuation contingency plans and standard operating procedures.
- Report on safety and security at weekly meetings, and provide updates and information, verbally and in writing as well as send in weekly security situation report to the Country Office.
- Assist State Programme Coordinator in organizing the core Crisis Management Team and rehearsing and executing contingency plans.
- The post-holder will comply with all relevant Oxfam policies and procedures with respect to gender, safety and security, code of conduct, equal opportunities and other relevant policies.
- Provide security briefing to all Oxfam staff and visitors to the project state on a case by case basis.
- Perform periodic drills and exercises for Staff to facilitate security alertness and physical fitness such as fire drill, physical exercises, simulation exercises etc.
- Ensure that Project Vehicles are used and maintained in line with Oxfam’s Security Management Plan.
- Enforce Oxfam Standard Operating Procedures for the State, and provide recommendations to State Programme Coordinator and the National Security Coordinator for improvement where necessary.
- Promote the concept that safety and security plans and guidelines should be jointly developed by the team to create ownership and encourage compliance.
- Promote the concept that safety and security is an integral element of programme design and operations and should be amongst the first planning considerations.
- Assist the National Oxfam Security Coordinator to manage the safety and security for day-to-day operations any and all emergency responses and project operations.
- Undertake implementation and compliance with Oxfam’s Safety and Security Policy and Standards.
- Ensure the physical site security of all office and project locations under the jurisdiction of the State Project Office.
- Oversee the contract management and day-to-day management of guards contracted and deployed to the State Project Office.
- Track daily field missions and movements of all staff through effective communication management systems.
- Report and assist in managing safety and security incidents on daily basis.
- First Degree or equivalent in Security Management, Business Administration or any other relevant discipline.
- Minimum of 3 years “hands-on” working experience in Security management with an international NGO including 1 years at supervisory level.
- Strong analytical skills and experience using a computerised information management system (Ms. Word, Excel, Accounting/ Procurement software etc.)
- Critical focus on providing a superior service level to managers and colleagues and delivering agreed results within time and budget constraints and to expected standards.
- Proven experience of establishing and implementing security systems for an International Organization.
- Excellent organizational, problem-solving and negotiation skills. The ability to remain calm whilst dealing with conflicting priorities/work under pressure is essential.
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written) and report writing skills. English language proficiency and Hausa language fluency are essential.
- Ability to represent Oxfam in a professional and competent manner with external individuals and organisations.
- Commitment to Oxfam’s overall aims and policies and experience of promoting women’s rights and the interests of marginalized people in all aspects of Oxfam’s work.
- Knowledge or appreciation of Nigeria in terms of its political, economic and social trends plus a good understanding of the key development and humanitarian issues in the region.
- A high level of self-awareness, personal energy, stamina and flexibility.
- Ability to work creatively, effectively and under own initiative.
Key Behavioural Competencies
- We can engage with diverse stakeholders in a way that leads to increased impact for the organisation
- We spot opportunities to influence effectively and where there are no opportunities, we could create them in a respectful and impactful manner.
- We understand the importance of building relationship, within and outside the organization.
- We could engage with traditional and non-traditional stakeholders in ways that lead to increased impact for the organisation.
Agility, Complexity and Ambiguity:
- We scan the environment, anticipate changes, are comfortable with lack of clarity and deal with many elements interacting in diverse and unpredictable ways.
- We view problems as parts of an overall system and in their relation to the whole system, rather than reacting to a specific part, outcome, or event in isolation. By consistently practicing systems thinking we are aware of and manage well unintended consequences of organizational decisions and actions.
- We are good listeners who can see where deeper levels of thoughts and tacit assumptions differ. Our messages to others are clear and consider different preferences.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organization.
- Therefore, people of all gender identities, sexes, sexual orientations, races, colors, religions, cultures, abilities, etc. are eligible for this position.
- Oxfam aims to attract great talent that not only fits the job but also Oxfam’s high standard of values and principles, who shares and demonstrates Oxfam’s commitment to prevent and eradicate any type of misconduct including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, any other type of misuse of power or lack of integrity and financial misconduct.
- We are committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people, and adults. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
- All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and may be subject to appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks, or integrity screenings/references relating to misconduct and disciplinary actions in prior employment