Senior Disaster Management & Cash Voucher Assistance Officer at International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC)
Nov 26, 2020, 5:57 PM
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world's largest humanitarian organization, with 192 member National Societies. As part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, our work is guided by seven fundamental principles; humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Disaster Management & Cash Voucher Assistance Officer
Duration: 6 Months
Category of Staff: National Staff
Grade: Not applicable
- The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world’s largest humanitarian organization, with a network of 192-member National Societies.
- The overall aim of the IFRC is “to inspire, encourage, facilitate, and promote at all times all forms of humanitarian activities by National Societies with a view to preventing and alleviating human suffering and thereby contributing to the maintenance and promotion of human dignity and peace in the world.”
- The IFRC works to meet the needs and improve the lives of vulnerable people before, during and after disasters, health emergencies and other crises. The IFRC is part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement (Movement), together with its member National Societies and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC).
- The work of the IFRC is guided by the following fundamental principles: humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity, and universality.
- The IFRC is led by its Secretary General, and has its Headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland. The Headquarters are organized into three main Divisions:
- National Society Development and Operations Coordination;
- Global Relations, Humanitarian Diplomacy and Digitalization; and
- Management Policy, Strategy and Corporate Services.
- The IFRC has five regional offices in Africa, Asia Pacific, Middle East and North Africa, Europe, and the Americas. The IFRC also has country cluster delegation and country delegations throughout the world. Together, the Geneva Headquarters and the field structure (regional, cluster and country) comprise the IFRC Secretariat.
- The Abuja based office is the hub to support West Coast Cluster and has a status agreement with Nigerian government.
- This job is to support the IFRC West Coast country cluster support team CCST in their support to the national societies in the fight against Covid19 and other natural disasters. The senior officer will be reporting to the Disaster Management DM Delegate.
- This job is to support the IFRC West Coast country cluster support team CCST in their support to the national societies in the fight against Covid19 and other natural disasters.
- The senior officer will be reporting to the Disaster Management DM Delegate. The purpose of this job will be to support the DM Delegate with all ongoing CVA activities that the WC NSs are implementing as part of the Covid19 global appeal.
- The person will act as a DM and CVA focal point for any technical questions that NSs might have. The person will coordinate with NSs regularly and will make sure that best practises are shared peer to peer. Also, the person will make sure that all standards and risk mitigation measures are being adhered to. Quality control and assessments will also be part of the job.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
Working together with the IFRC West Coast CCST, the DM & CVA Officer will:
- In close cooperation with technical coordinators of the CCST and the Regional CVA Coordinator, support the implementation and revision of all CVA activities included in NS response plans and budgets.
- Provide direct support to the IFRC team and the National Societies of the West Coast CCST setting up cash and voucher assistance interventions for emergency responses
- Ensure completion of cash planning, preparation and rollout of activities in selected project sites.
- Support the procurement process of Financial Service Providers in coordination with the Regional Office.
- Monitoring progress of cash interventions of the West Coast, and collect the required reporting documentations per the IFRC standards
- Ensure beneficiary communications and feedback mechanisms are settled up in each West Coast NS implementing Cash and Voucher Assistance. Ensure CVA key messages are effectively disseminated to recipients and relevant stakeholders and appropriate feedback mechanisms are established, maintaining the National Society’s commitment to beneficiary accountability,
- Liaise with Finance and Logistic to ensure that standard procedures linked to CVA are well applied,
- Ensure good coordination on CVA between Movement colleagues, including the ICRC, Partner National Societies (PNS) and the implementing National Societies. Ensure same tools and standards are applied to the various areas in which the CVA will be implemented in the country, based on the RCRC Movement cash toolkit.
- Ensure that needs assessment, market assessment, financial service provider mapping, tendering and contracting are conducted in due time to have a timely and effective implementation that meets the program objectives in all NS of the West Coast that uses cash as a response tool
- Assist West Coast National Societies in developing the process and post-distribution monitoring system that provide systematic and standards indicators for CVA implemented through emergency responses.
- Produce accurate monthly reports of cash and voucher delivered assistance in all NS of the West Coast,
- When relevant engage in coordination with other stakeholders in the country (Cash working Group, CaLP, NGOs, WFP, etc.)
Qualification and Experience
- University degree or professional qualification in Humanitarian Assistant or another relevant area
- Practical Emergency Cash Transfer Training (PECT)
- Technical training in disaster preparedness, response and recovery.
- ODK or KoBo Training
- Stay Safe – Personal security online training
- Fraud and Corruption online training
- Market Assessment Online Training
- Market Assessment Face to Face Training
- Technical training in design, implementation and monitoring cash and voucher interventions
- At least 5 years experience of successfully implementing and coordinating humanitarian emergency response operations that include CVA in at least one context and preferably within the RC/RC Movement
- At least one experience leading a cash or voucher response within a humanitarian context
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and negotiating skills
- Experience coordinating and advocating to external stakeholders including government, NGOs, UN and Donor organisations.
- Experience living and working in challenging and multicultural environments
- At least ten years of experience in disaster management or response in humanitarian operations
- Demonstrated experience in assessment which includes needs, market and Cash feasibility considerations
- Proven capacity building experience with NS or equivalent, delivering trainings and providing on the job training and coaching
- Knowledge and experience of RC/RC National Societies
Knowledge, Skills and Languages:
- Sound knowledge of and commitment to, a holistic approach to disaster management, with a particular understanding of recovery, and proven experience in cash and voucher interventions
- Good understanding of shelter, livelihoods and wash interventions
- Proven skills in strategic and operational planning, budgeting and reporting emergency response that included CVA
- Understand and use various beneficiary registration methods
- Knowledge of feedback and response mechanism, including of appropriate methods of beneficiary communication and channels.
- Contribute to the design and planning of distribution
- Ability to transfer knowledge, skills, and/or abilities to staff and volunteers.
- Fluently spoken and written English is required
- Fluently spoken and written French is preferred
- Understanding of the key issues relating to delivering cash at scale and skills to address them
- Proven analytical skills and the ability to think strategically while under pressure
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with independent decision making capacity
- Excellent communication and inter-personal skills with the ability to represent the International Federation and to negotiate and influence people’s opinions
- Knowledge of targeting methodology
Competencies and values:
- Values: Respect for diversity; Integrity; Professionalism; Accountability
- Core competencies: Communication; Collaboration and teamwork; Judgement and decision making; National society and customer relations; Creativity and innovation; Building trust
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 2nd December, 2020.