Senior Technical Advisor, Laboratory Services at FHI 360
Family Health International (FHI 360) is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology - creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Technical Advisor, Laboratory Services
Location: Cross River
Job Type: Part time
- The Senior Technical Advisor-Laboratory services leads the development and successful implementation of project workplans and achievement of targets and deliverables.
- Provides technical, management and financial leadership to projects. Leads communications, coordination, and reporting with partners for projects. Provides technical assistance to strengthen laboratory systems including point-of-care services.
- Oversees planning, conducting, and reporting laboratory audits. Supervises and provides technical guidance and mentorship to staff.
- S/he will provide support to PRs/SRs in specific target states to improve the quality of laboratory services available in health facilities in line with National guidelines.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide technical leadership and technical support related to the laboratory services and management component of HIV/AIDS care and treatment in the designated zones for the Nigeria bilateral project.
- Coordinate the design, planning and implementation of the laboratory component of HIV/AIDS care and treatment, including ART, in collaboration with state and community level project clinical staff, laboratory specialists and state and local agencies in Nigeria.
- Provides technical and programmatic expertise in diagnostics, quality management systems, SLMTA/SLIPTA and other laboratory standards.
- Leads the development and facilitation of training to diagnostic facilities and reports on the effectiveness of such training.
- Oversees conduct of assessments to diagnostic facilities and lead the follow-up of corrective and preventive actions and quality improvement initiatives.
- Oversees internal audits and accreditation activities and other quality control functions/ activities, in collaboration with the state team, of the labs, including quality control inspections schedules and the collection of quality control records; ensure the availability of high-quality documentation.
- Develop quality control and quality assurance systems in collaboration with existing personnel and systems and ensures related documentation, training and monitoring Review and monitor QA and QC activities of the Laboratory to determine conformance with established policies, national regulations, and accreditation requirements.
- Leads efforts to prepare laboratories for accreditation locally, regionally, nationally, and internationally recognized accreditation bodies.
- Support the Associate Director in managing the FHI 360 Laboratory Services Department, defining strategies, goals, objectives and working plan, and monitoring their implementation.
- Supervise and mentor other FHI360 lab staff both at the state and field level to improve and maintain high standards of performance in all their local laboratory activities.
- Leads implementation and monitoring efforts that enhance diagnostic components such as specimen referral, supply chain, equipment management, expansion of point-of-care diagnostic services, Quality Management System, biosafety, and biosecurity.
- Leads the development and successful implementation of project workplans and budgets.
- Supervises and provides technical guidance and mentorship to staff for laboratory services at the designated states of activity implementation and other settings as appropriate.
- Liaises with external stakeholders and partners.
- Manages and monitors systems, services, and staff to achieve project goals.
- Supports and oversees the preparation of timely and accurate technical and financial reports including budgets.
- Leads or supports business development efforts relating to diagnostics.
- Develop lessons learned from activities related to laboratory services and management for HIV/AIDS care and treatment and apply these lessons to improve both existing programs and the design of new programs Remain informed on new findings in the field of laboratory technology that relate to HIV/AIDS, OI, malaria care and treatment by reviewing current literature, and draw implications from research for program activities.
- Develops concept papers, abstracts, manuscripts and research papers to improve and or extend existing laboratory activities.
- Play a key role in facilitating and maintaining complex collaborative lab programs with international partners Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Master’s Degree in Medical Laboratory Sciences, with 7 to 9 years of relevant experience
- Or doctorate degree in laboratory sciences, with 5 to 7 years of relevant experience
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in a laboratory setting of which 3 must be on an HIV laboratory management donor-funded program.
- Certification/license to practice as a medical laboratory scientist is required.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
- Comprehensive knowledge of concepts, practices, and procedures with clinical laboratory functions and quality management systems for labs.
- Knowledge of health and development programs in developing countries in general and Nigeria specifically
- Ability to manage and complete numerous tasks with a high degree of organization and meet deadlines with strong attention to consistency, detail, and quality.
- Prior work experience in a non- governmental organization (NGO).
- Familiarity with the Nigerian public sector health system and NGOs and CBOs is highly desirable. Well-developed computer skills Ability to travel within Nigeria 25% time.
- Experience in the management of laboratory services, particularly health facility-based services, including quality assurance systems, laboratory analysis, and interpretation and reporting techniques based on best practices, quality management practices and safe work practices.
- Excellent working knowledge of laboratory equipment and techniques for the following categories of assays: HIV rapid and confirmatory testing, CD4/CD8, HIV viral load, HIV DNA qualitative test, HIV viral resistance (genotype and phenotype) Good working knowledge of laboratory equipment and techniques for the microscopic identification and culturing of different TB species, and drug resistance tuberculosis (MDR-TB)
- Knowledge of District Health Information System (DHIS) and Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) is required. Excellent oral and written communication skills, including presentation and training skills. Ability to work well with others and develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, project collaborators, subcontractors and consultants. Excellent organizational and analytical skills. And the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously while meeting deadlines. Strong knowledge of national and international regulations with quality assurance, laboratory standards and guidelines.
- Knowledge of USAID and PEPFAR funded programs. Supervisory or management experience required. Must be able to work independently, and as part of a management team.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the social, political and ethical issues surrounding HIV infections. Ability to represent FHI360 to donors, government officials and the NGO community.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply