Shift Operation Manager at Tincan Island Container Terminal
Tincan Island Container Terminal is a subsidiary of a multinational / global entity in the maritime sector. A rewarding career, great culture and working environment are what we offer if you decide to join us.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Shift Operation Manager
Location: Apapa, Lagos
Employment Type: Full-time
- A shift Operation Manager is responsible for overseeing all aspects of terminal operations.
- This includes everything from managing the flow of cargo and passengers through a port or airport to ensuring that equipment is properly maintained and operated safely at all times.
- He may also be tasked with developing new ways to improve efficiency, reduce costs, or otherwise increase the value of their operation.
- Ensure that all operations at the yard, gate or vessel are executed in accordance to priorities set by the planning team and escalate where changes may be required.
- Communicates vessel operation sequence and stevedoring requirements to subordinates.
- Executes the planned yard sequence and advises planners on the information required.
- Acts as a focal point for any stevedoring issues and ensures that the load and discharge registration is performed accurately and timely.
- Instructs subordinates in safe working practices and maintains a watch over the terminal area for unsafe working practices.
- Ensure that recognised safe working practices are utilised for all terminal operations and maintain effective implementation of safety policies and procedures.
- Provide first line of response for emergency situations and damage assessments.
- Provide terminal presence by maintaining significant visibility checks all quay side and yard activities continuously throughout shift and prepare operational reports as required by management.
- Ability to work in a shift system covering day, night, weekend and holiday duty and if required working overtime.
- Identifies and solves problems and issues within his competence on a daily basis that may arise with an assigned vessel to improve an untroubled operation.
- Monitor continuous operations at shift changeover times and rest break changeovers.
- Reports problems and issues to the Execution Manager, when necessary especially issues of complexity or great impact on the operation.
- Ensure the optimum utilization of all equipment employed during the designated shift period by monitoring equipment work queues and allocating equipment and personnel where required to achieve maximum productivity.
- Supervise the Yard and Vessel and Gate Supervisors & indirectly the gangs and ensures that each gang is organized, and that each person knows what to do and when to do it for the vessel discharge and load operations according to plan in order to achieve the highest possible crane productivity.
- Ensures highest levels of productivity, while adhering to high quality and safety standards.
- Coordinates the container discharge and load operations, yard operations, and berth schedules to ensure maximum productivity and the efficient use of labour and equipment
- Constantly contribute to improve work processes, methods & improve operational efficiency of operations personnel
- Responsible for efficient allocation of all shift operational staff and the cost-effective utilisation of equipment resources to match the operational requirements of the terminal.
- The incumbent is expected to ensure that daily activities contribute to the achievement of operational results. Responsibility for the execution of day to day operational activities.
We Are Looking For
- Require a B.Sc Degree / HND with extensive marine operations experience in Operations Management, Logistics, Business Administration or related discipline.
- Require at least ten years or more of strong supervisory experience in container terminal operations environment, or similar, related industry.
- Require an in-depth, comprehensive understanding of container terminal operations, especially vessel cargo logistics, hazardous cargo, break-bulk and special cargo handling requirements and equipment.
- Provide leadership and ensure cooperation and support from employees and contractors in all areas of terminal operations to achieve operational objectives of the business using a teamwork approach.
- Fluent in English and local language (where applicable).
- Knowledge of Terminals Operating System..
- Ability to meet objectives while promoting a team environment and developing people.
- Previous experience as a foreman, supervisor, superintendent or other similar position would be expected as a natural progression to this position.
- Is thorough familiar with the strict implementation of international standards of safe working practices within marine, stevedoring and terminal operations.
- Is conversant with the International Maritime Organisation (IMO) regulations for the on-board segregation of hazardous cargoes and storage within a terminal area.
- Advanced computer skills with a sound understanding of modern terminal planning and control systems.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV to: [email protected] , [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the mail