Short Term Technical Assistant (STTA) Research Assistant at Crest Research and Development Institute (CRADI)
Crest Research and Development Institute (CRADI) is an independent, non-profit research institute dedicated to improving the human condition through evidence-based research and developmental aid. The Institute uses a multidisciplinary, community-friendly, and ethic-driven approach to support independent, high-quality research with an impact on business development, the public sector and civil society. CRADI partners with appropriate research, technology, development, communications, and governance institutions. Team members include people drawn from the academia, civil society, public and private sectors, as well as practitioners in various fields of endeavor who are concerned about the socio-political and economic problems of Africa.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Short Term Technical Assistant (STTA) Research Assistant
Locations: Lagos, Ogun, Edo, and Delta
Slots: 4 (1 slot in each state)
Duration: 30 days
Reports to: Director of Research, Data Quality Assurance Manager and Monitoring, Evaluation, Learning and Research Associate (MERLA)
Purpose of the Assignment
- We are conducting the final external Evaluation of a project titled “Promoting Evidence-Based Prevention Efforts to Reduce Trafficking in Persons”. The project is aimed at improving access to trusted information sources and promoting informed decision making by sensitizing potential migrants on regular migration options, vulnerabilities to trafficking in persons (TiP), and risks associated with irregular migration.
- In addition, the project seeks to build institutional capacities and implement community-based actions in high-risk states of irregular migration such as Lagos, Edo and Delta.
- In collaboration with the Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN), the intervention aims to build the capacity of state and non-state actors to exercise evidence-based planning and monitoring of behavioural change communication to prevent TiP and Smuggling of Migrants (SoM).
- Secondly, through community-based actions (peer education, community dialogue, art-based competitions) and capacity building, the project aims to enable returnees, community members, government and non-government actors to take action to prevent exploitation and promote informed decision making on safe and regular migration pathways.
- The primary target audience is potential migrants aged 12-35 years from migration prone communities. The secondary audience includes key opinion leaders within target communities such as families, religious and traditional leaders who play an influential role in the decision-making process of potential migrants.
Scope of Work
The research assistants would be responsible for completing the following tasks under the guidance and supervision of CRADI’s Research team:
- The research assistants’ contract will be on a need-for-work basis and is not a full-time role.
- Participate in a two-day training workshop.
- Participate in daily debrief meetings during data collection.
- Ensure quality assurance of data, coordinate with the research team to ensure consistency and quality of interview transcripts in English.
- Administer questionnaires to stakeholders and target beneficiaries in the target LGAs and communities of the project states, as well as providing important feedback on project’s field research activities.
Accountabilities / Responsibilities
The Research assistant will be responsible for the following:
- Conduct virtual and in-person Key Informant Interviews (KIIs) and Focus Group Discussions (FGDs) and draft report for each
- Ensure required tools, consent forms are completed.
- Responsible for security and confidentiality of the electronic data.
- Make sure that the digital devices are fully charged.
- Shows a high level of integrity and will not fabricate responses or misrepresent the programme.
- Confidently expresses self, able to clearly ask questions and help the respondent understand what is needed from her/him.
- Able to build trust with people at the rural level and maintain confidentiality
- Must be able to interpret and record responses appropriately without distorting the respondent’s meaning or confusing the reader.
- Gather and accurately record responses on questionnaires provided by the research team.
- Ensure that questionnaires have been thoroughly checked and completed.
- Submit completed questionnaires and other equipment used in fieldwork to CRADI.
- Compile findings in a format required by the research team.
- As part of each assignment, participate in briefings, carry out data collection, data entry and/or reporting.
- Recognize and give account of problems in obtaining data and provide useful feedback from field research activities
- Must be resident in one the state of assignment.
- The research assistants will supervise the enumerators and ensure data quality at the data entry stage.
Qualifications and Experience Required
- M.Sc, B.Sc or HND in Social Sciences or in a related field.
- 2 years field experiences in conducting quantitative and qualitative data collection.
Skills and Knowledge:
- Proven excellent report writing and organizational and documentation skills
- Knowledge of Research Methodologies
- Ability to prompt information without leading the interviewee
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines
- Demonstrable competence in Time Management
- Ability to use online survey platform such as (Kobo-Collect, Survey Monkey, Google Forms etc.).
- Excellent presentation, oral and written communication skills
- Respect the security, dignity, and self-worth of respondents. The Research assistant has the responsibility to be sensitive to and respect differences amongst participants in culture, religion, gender, disability, age, and ethnicity.
- Good interpersonal skills including good coordination and effective working relations with stakeholders
- Excellent planning and time management skills
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office suite of applications
- English (Fluency in the local languages would be an added advantage)
- Must be willing and able to travel to local and difficult terrains of Lagos, Ogun, Edo, and Delta States as indicated in the program States and LGAs.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 22nd September, 2022.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the interview.
- Equal Opportunity: CRADI is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, etc.
- Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- CRADI recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation