Job descriptions Sample Templates How to do it yourself Words and Meanings Interview questions and answersJobs > Health / Medical > Surgeon at Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF)
Surgeon at Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF)
May 30, 2020, 1:56 AM
Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an independent international medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid in more than 60 countries to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural or man-made disasters or exclusion from healthcare.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Surgeon Code: MD01505 Location: Pulka & Gwoza, Gwoza LGA, Borno Report to: Medical Activity Manager Report to (functional): Medical Activity Manger Area: Medical & Paramedical Working Hours:48 per week Contract Duration: Six Months Renewable Slot: Two (02)
- Organize and carry out surgery activities, ensure pre and post-operative surgical care, in accordance with MSF policies, protocols and universal hygiene standards and in close collaboration with medical staff in the emergency, intensive wards and operation theatre in order to improve patients’ health conditions.
- Coordinates the implementation of MSF clinical policies, tools, guidelines and protocols ( antibiotic prophylaxis, post-operative pain management, thrombo-prophylaxis, caesarean section, blood transfusion, etc) and recommendations (standard hygiene and sterilization rules, prevention to HIV, TB, Syphilis and Hep B exposure) in order to minimize clinical risks.
- Undertake pre-operative consultations, evaluating the surgical risks with the anaesthetist and/or other medical staff involved, and obtaining the patient’s signed consent to operate.
- Carry out emergency and programmed surgical intervention following MSF protocols and policies including swab counts, ensuring appropriate use of surgical equipment and proper OT registry entry/documentation of all OT intervention.
- Carry out post-operative clinical care and ward rounds collaborating with the anesthetist, the Operating Theatre Nurse and ward staff or other Unit Managers to ensure compliance with MSF protocols and rational use of medicines. Attend OPD, emergency room when required.
- In collaboration with the anaesthetist, carry-out the collection and analysis of quantitative surgical- anaesthesia data, using post-operative observation sheets, routine data collected, patient files, operating department register, patient file, etc to monitor quality. Monthly revue data and analyze clinical trends and comment on adverse events / poor clinical outcome. Support organizing the operating program and with OT staff monitor use of material and equipment and advise on instrument needs and coordinates patient referral.,
- Put in place the emergency disaster response plan of the hospital along with the anesthetist and the medical doctor and /or the responsible nurse and run role hospital practical rehearsals, in order to ensure the continuity of the services under any circumstance
- Knows and helps implement the accidental blood exposure policy.
- Plan, evaluate, and supervise the training of the staff (emergency and the out-patient teams) in order to ensure
- the amount of knowledge required and to improve people diagnosing, triage, and early detection capabilities.
- Supports other medical teams/wards when needed (i.e. midwifes and obstetric teams in the maternity ward, etc.).
- Essential, degree in Surgical Specialty recognized by the State.
- Surgical experience as stated in surgical CV/skill form (number of independently performed surgical interventions) corresponds with the surgeries that are performed in the mission and qualification is duly certified and verified. Desirable experience with MSF or other NGO’s in developing countries.
- Essential, English and Hausa; Kanuri and Mandra would be an asset.
- Computer literacy essential.
- People Management, Commitment, Flexibility, Results, Teamwork.
How to Apply Interested and qualified applicants should send their updated CV, Motivation Letter, copies of Credentials, copy of NYSC Certificate and copy of current Medical Licence and (only PDF or Word) either by email to: email@example.com (in the subject please to put the position and the reference for while you are applying). NoteApplication Deadline 1700 hours; 12th June, 2020.
- Only short-listed applicants will be contacted
- Applications are non-returnable. Do not submit original certificates or credentials.
- MSF Encourages Women and People with Disability Status to Apply
Subscribe to Free Job Alerts!
Being aware and applying for jobs on time increases your chances of getting a job. Information is key. Subscribe to our free job alerts