UNICEF recruitment for an Information Management Officer
Aug 14, 2020, 9:14 PM
United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund (UNICEF) works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Information Management Officer
Job Number: 533750
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Work Type: Temporary Appointment
Purpose of the Assignment
- A well-run cluster with Information Management is a formal deliverable of the Cluster Lead Agency and forms a part of the agency’s work.
- The Information Management Officer is a core Cluster Coordination team member. The purpose of this post is to manage the collection, analysis and sharing of information that is important for the Cluster participants to make informed, evidence-based, strategic decisions.
- Respond to the Cluster participants’ needs for information
- Adapt existing in-country information management approaches for collecting, analysing and reporting Cluster activities and resources, and identifying information gaps
- Establish and maintain information databases that consolidate, analyse and report / disseminate information critical to decision making
- Manage flows of information and dissemination in an appropriate way, including website management
- Manage an inventory of relevant documents on the humanitarian situation
- Support the development and analysis of needs assessment and monitoring programmes
- Provide information management leadership in assessments and monitoring, including joint assessments and training
- Lead on the preparation of SitRep inputs with emphasis on Cluster plans, targets and achievements
- Develop and strengthen information management capacity through the training of Cluster members
- Contribute to the core cluster functions
- Ensure that there is effective communication, reporting, engagement and coordination between the national and sub-national clusters
- Maintain monthly reporting from Cluster participants, including 5Ws (‘Who does What, Where, When and for Whom?’ databases)
- Support the estimation of spatial and temporal gaps, overlaps and coverage of Cluster activities and projects.
- Work with Cluster / participants to identify information gaps at national and sub-national levels and propose ways to bridge those gaps
- Work with the OCHA Information Management Specialist to develop appropriate supportive strategies
- Use GIS for map production and geographic data management
- Adopt and promote the use of global standards for information management for inter-operability
Qualifications, Experience and Competencies Required
- University degree in a subject area relevant to Information Management is required.
- Extensive work experience relevant to the post with a university degree in any other discipline may be considered as a replacement for a university degree in information management.
- Formal training in cluster information management is an advantage.
- Minimum 2 years of professional work experience in information management preferably with NGOs / INGOs and / or the UN is required. Experience in major emergency response relevant to the cluster is highly desirable.
- Fluency in English required. Working knowledge of the local language at the duty station is a strong asset.
- Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, Accountability
Skills and Competencies:
- Understands key technical issues for the cluster sufficiently well enough to be able to: engage with cluster participants; understand their cluster-specific information management needs
- Excellent knowledge of MS Excel or MS Access (e.g. pivot tables and functions)
- Proven technical expertise for managing data capture and storage, for analysing diverse datasets, and presenting information in understandable tables, charts, graphs and reports
- Understands uses and adapts the tools, mechanisms and processes developed as part of Humanitarian Reform
- Demonstrates commitment to Humanitarian Principles
- Demonstrates commitment to Principles of Partnership
- Communicates works and networks effectively with a wide range of people to reach broad consensus on a well-coordinated response, and demonstrates leadership where required
- Thinks and acts strategically and ensures that cluster activities are prioritized and aligned within an agreed strategy
- Demonstrates commitment to the cluster and independence from employing organisation
- Knowledge of establishing and managing basic websites (e.g. UNOCHA’s Humanitarian Response platform)
- Proven skills in GIS and in using map-making packages
- Skills in web design and software development are an asset
- Understands the rationale behind Humanitarian Reform, its main components and recent developments including the Transformative Agenda
View our competency framework at: http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/files/UNICEF_Competencies.pdf
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
- UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles.
- All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
- The position is for Nigerian nationals only
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
- FEMALE candidates are specially encouraged to apply
Application Deadline 28th August, 2020; 23:55:00 GMT+0100 (West Africa Standard Time)