WASH Technician at International Medical Corps
International Medical Corps is a global, humanitarian, nonprofit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training and relief and development programs. Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and Nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, nonpolitical, nonsectarian organization. Its mission is to improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in underserved communities worldwide. By offering training and health care to local populations and medical assistance to people at highest risk, and with the flexibility to respond rapidly to emergency situations, International Medical Corps rehabilitates devastated health care systems and helps bring them back to self-reliance.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Wash Technician
Job ID: MDG / WASH / 06
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
- The WASH Technician will be responsible for providing support to the WASH team on the hardware components of the WASH program including construction and drilling/rehabilitation of water points especially in the areas of BOQ development, drawing / designs and day to day supervision of field works to ensure contractors are deliver quality infrastructures works including but not limited to latrines and water points construction/rehabilitation, construction and/or rehabilitation of health facilities, GBV women centres, etc.
- Work with WASH Project Officer to conduct continual review of the designs and functionality of the water supply systems (and other water points) to ensure efficient operation as well as reliability and safe water distribution.
- Act as the main technical personal in the development of BoQs and designs for all WASH works on the various projects including but not limited to latrines construction, water points drilling and rehabilitation.
- Work with the WASH Project Officer to design templates, construction contracts for WASH related works, and a system for monitoring the progress of works and performance of hired contractor.
- Provide rigorous supervision of WASH hardware works in the various various camps and host communities
- Provide technical input/ verification in the quality and quantity of materials received from suppliers before it is received by the logistics.
- Liaise with contractors on the quantity and quality of materials to be requested form logistic and makes the request on time for prompt delivery to site.
- Be involved in capacity building of Water Management and Sanitation committees especially with regards to routine maintenance techniques.
- Provide updates to WASH Manager on state of IMC Water and Sanitation infrastructure by working closely with the trained WATSAN committees in the communities on regular basis.
- Provide technical supervision to contractors undertaking various IMC works in camps and host communities and ensure delivered work is up to stand as required by IMC
- Review technical reports from the various contractors and provide recommendations to the WASH Project Officer as to whether the delivered infrastructures meet the required standards and quality by IMC
- Provide technical inputs in assessments for new project areas
- Provide technical inputs in the production of IMC regular reports both internally and externally: Weekly, monthly, quarterly.
Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse:
- Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within International Medical Corps and amongst beneficiaries served by International Medical Corps.
- Any other duties that may be assigned from time by supervisors
- B.Eng. or HND in Civil Engineering, Water Engineering or Architecture or any relevant technical qualification.
- At least two year of experience with a non-profit, non-governmental organization or private engineering firm.
- Strong skills with Microsoft Word
- Excellent English communication skills
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions independently.
- Flexible, able to cope with stressful situations and frustrations
- Willingness to travel to other Borno LGAs outside of Maiduguri as required by supervisor.
- Demonstrated skill in the use of AutoCAD, CAD, GIS software, and GPS device.
- Experience in drafting Bill of Quantities for civil works.
- Experience in ground water development and rehabilitation.
- Excellent experience with Microsoft Excel, including use of formulas and pivot tables
Compliance & Ethics:
- Promotes and encourages a culture of compliance and ethics throughout International Medical Corps. As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of International Medical Corps & and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level of integrity.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications addressed to the "Human Resource Coordinator, International Medical Corps" via email to: [email protected]
- Only Short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- We are an equal opportunity organization so Borno State Based candidates are Strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
- Candidates MUST state the position, location and Job ID: MDG/WASH/06 they are applying for as the subject of their email, application letter and curriculum vitae should be in a single Microsoft Word Document, otherwise applications will not be considered.
- Nigerian nationals only
Application Deadline 23rd September, 2020.