Water and Sanitation (WatSan) Officer at Solidarites International
Solidarites International (SI) is a French humanitarian organization which provides aid and assistance to victims of war or natural disaster. For over 38 years the association has focused on meeting three vital needs - water, food and shelter. Currently present in Nigeria since 2016, SI carries out emergency / post-emergency programs in WASH sector in North East region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Water and Sanitation (WatSan) Officer (Male or Female)
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Contract
Contract Start date: Projected contract duration is 6 Months - with possible extension.
Goal / Purpose
- Under the direct supervision of the HOTSPOT Team Leader and indirectly the Program Manager Assistant and WASH Program Manager, the WatSan Officer will be in charge of setting up all activities related to improving access to water and sanitation including needs assessments, activities’ implementation and monitoring and project evaluation.
- More precisely, the WatSan officer will be responsible for rehabilitation or construction of boreholes or other water points, monitoring of water quality, construction of emergency latrines and bathing areas, including purchase of the appropriate material, supervision of contractors’ teams. He will work in good coordination with the WatSan community mobilizer in order to ensure the quality of the implemented activities and will provide technical support for all WatSan related issues. He/she will ensure that SI’s technical recommendations and procedures are followed.
Set-up and operational monitoring:
- Provide technical input on activity design adapted to the context
- Under the supervision of the team leader and Program Manager Assistant, take part in logistical and administrative organization and the planning and preparation of job sites
- Ensure the construction and/or the maintenance of construction work using Solidarités International tools (in particular):
- Take part in the identification of sites where work is to be carried out
- Recruit and train the workforce and daily workers
- Allocate the on-site workforce according to instructions given by the team leader
- Carry out work according to technical guidelines and estimates
- Respect deadlines established with his/her team leader or project manager
- Supervise operational teams, contractors and communities, and ensure the best use of available resources
- Support the Community Mobilisers in organizing, planning and supervising community participation for WatSan activities
- Report to the project manager and/or team leader on the state of decentralized stock (‘field’ stock) on his/her sites.
- Take part to the evaluation of the technical competence of contractors
- Respect Solidarités administrative procedures before, during and after each work project
- Establish safety and security measures for each activity and ensure that these rules are respected by the workforce under his/ her supervision and by the population
- Anticipate any problems associated with the management of his/her activity and propose solutions to avoid them
- Manage the supply of worksite materials by collaborating with the logistics department
Reporting / communication / representation:
- Keep his/her monitoring tools and files archived in the Solidarités office, accessible to his/her team leader and/or project manager assistant
- Report back all information or problems linked to his/her activity, Solidarités programs or safety issues
- Listen to the local population and authorities in order to identify any needs, complaints, or major events which could affect the activities of Solidarités
- Analyse the humanitarian situation by taking into account protection issues/Do No Harm to the population
- Take part in the drafting of project progress reports under the supervision of his/her team leader
- Take part in seminars and workshops related to the carrying-out of activities and to project objectives
- Report to the team leader regarding the development of activities and specific tasks that he/she has been assigned, any problems encountered and the quality of relations with the beneficiaries
- Collaborate with local authorities and administration
Organisation Chart Position (Reporting and Functional Relationships)
- Line manager: HOTSPOT Team Leader
- Functional manager: Program Manager Assistant
Job Profile / Requirements
- Civil Engineer or skilled worker
- Minimum of 2 years of experience
- 1 year experience in NGO (preferable)
- High work ethic and respect of rules
- Good level of English (written and spoken) is preferable.
- Basic computer required
- Autonomy, rigor, analytical skills
What We Offer
Salary + Transport& housing contributions + social benefits (medical coverage, 24 days of Annual leaves per year, compassionate leaves, public holidays as announced by government, festive bonus, Life insurance - covering death and permanent disability) etc.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidate should:
Click here to apply
- Applicants should select "WatSan Officer Maiduguri"; Fill the form and attach their CV and motivation letter.
- The CV attached must be named with their first name and surname.
- As position is required as soon as possible, Solidarites International reserves the right to select a candidate and finalize the recruitment before the application closing date
Application Deadline 6th December, 2021.