Welder Job Description
Job Descriptions > Trade and Services > Welder
Common questions people ask include:
What is the job description of a Welder? What are the duties and responsibilities of a Welder? What does a Welder do?
Job Description of a Welder
Welders are responsible for cutting and joining metals and other materials at domestic/industrial facilities or construction sites. They use welding equipment to put together mechanical structures or parts with a great deal of precision. These skilled professionals work in a variety of industries including automotive, construction, and manufacturing.
Welder Duties and Responsibilities
Welder job description should contain a variety of functions and roles including:
- Read blueprints and drawings
- Take and read measurements
- Always follow specifications and instructions for maximum efficiency
- Weld components using manual or semi-automatic welding equipment
- Repair machinery
- Plan layouts and procedures
- Determine the appropriate welding equipment or machinery to be used
- Set up components for welding
- Align components using calipers, rulers etc. and clamp pieces
- Report damages on machines and equipment
- Test and inspect welded surfaces and structure to discover flaws
- Maintain equipment in a condition that does not compromise safety
Welder Requirements / Skills / Qualifications
Welder job description should include these common skills and qualifications:
- High school diploma or equivalent qualification.
- Successful completion of a relevant apprenticeship program is required
- A valid certificate in welding from an accredited institution is preferred.
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience as a welder.
- Excellent knowledge of welding machinery, electrical equipment, and manual tools.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints and designs.
- Outstanding attention to detail.
- Good knowledge of and adherence with safety standards
- Attention to detail
- Critical thinker and problem-solving skills
- Team player
- Good time-management skills
- Great interpersonal and communication skills
As a hiring manager, recruiting an ideal Welder starts with crafting a good job description. Use this Welder job description example to save yourself time and help you attract the most qualified candidates. Feel free to revise it to meet your specific needs. Job seekers interviewing for the role of a Welder may also reference it in preparation for the interview.
Similar to Welder Job Description