Elementary School Teacher Job Description
Job Descriptions > Education and Training > Elementary School Teacher
Common questions people ask include:
What is the job description of an Elementary School Teacher? What are the duties and responsibilities of an Elementary School Teacher? What does an Elementary School Teacher do?
Job Description of an Elementary School Teacher
An elementary school teacher is a person trained to educate children from kindergarten through fifth grade. Some elementary schools also include grade six, while some private and rural public schools include seventh and eighth grades.
Elementary school teachers are responsible for the educational and emotional growth of children in a classroom setting, as well as managing the materials and resources used for educating them.
Elementary School Teacher Duties and Responsibilities
Elementary School Teacher job description should contain a variety of functions and roles including:
- Meeting with students and parents to discuss education-related issues, and attending staff meetings.
- Establishing a developmentally appropriate, positive, inclusive and safe learning environment that is conducive to learning.
- Advancing positive interpersonal relationships with coworkers and students.
- Communicating proficiently with students.
- Administering tests following district testing protocol and providing progress reports.
- Determining and supporting standards of classroom behavior, and upholding district-adopted discipline policies.
- Planning and supervising assignments and activities for student teachers, teacher assistants and volunteers as required.
- Implementing district-adopted curriculum.
- Preparing for assigned classes and providing lessons at designated times.
- Integrating suitable use of technology.
Elementary School Teacher Requirements / Skills / Qualifications
Elementary School Teacher job description should include these common skills and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Education.
- Proficient knowledge of teaching strategies and methods.
- Proficient knowledge of applicable laws, policies and procedures.
- Excellent people skills.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Outstanding organizational skills.
- Proficient computer skills.
- Availability to work extended hours on occasions.
As a hiring manager, recruiting an ideal Elementary School Teacher starts with crafting a good job description. Use this Elementary School Teacher job description example to save yourself time and help you attract the most qualified candidates. Feel free to revise it to meet your specific needs. Job seekers interviewing for the role of an Elementary School Teacher may also reference it in preparation for the interview.
Similar to Elementary School Teacher Job Description