Health Visitor Job Description
Job Descriptions > Healthcare and Medical > Health Visitor
Common questions people ask include:
What is the job description of a Health Visitor? What are the duties and responsibilities of a Health Visitor? What does a Health Visitor do?
Job Description of a Health Visitor
Health visitors are registered nurses or midwives with an additional specialist public health qualification who work with families with children aged under five to promote good health and prevent illness. A huge part of being a health visitor will be providing care and support for families with new children, offering advice and guidance from pregnancy to primary school.
They advise parents on breastfeeding, weaning, potty training, teething, common childhood health problems and various other issues that new parents might face. They’ll also help tackle issues such as bereavement, postnatal depression and violence in the family.
Health visitors work closely with other health professionals to ensure that needs and requirements are met.
Health Visitor Duties and Responsibilities
Health Visitor job description should contain a variety of functions and roles including:
- Meeting the health needs of individuals, families and communities
- Assessing the effectiveness of the current procedures
- Working with GPs, midwives, nursery nurses and community staff nurses to deliver the care needed
- Helping new parents understand childcare issues, such as feeding, sleeping, safety and development
- Setting up health plans with families
- Diagnosing and treating minor health conditions
- Supporting and training new health visitors
- Planning and implementing promotional displays for healthcare issues
- Understanding and maintaining all codes and government initiatives
- Managing parent and baby clinics
- Getting involved with local community projects, such as preschools and action groups
- Providing support for sensitive issues such as postnatal depression, disability and domestic violence
Health Visitor Requirements / Skills / Qualifications
Health Visitor job description should include these common skills and qualifications:
- A qualified and registered nurse (in any field) or midwife
- An approachable personality, and the ability to get on well with and gain the trust of people of all ages and backgrounds
- Excellent communication, questioning and listening skills, as well as the ability to interpret body language and other non-verbal communication
- Sensitivity, empathy, patience and tact
- The ability to work independently and autonomously as well as in multidisciplinary teams
- Good time management, organisational skills and the ability to prioritise a varied workload
- Influencing skills and the ability to motivate people to make lifestyle changes
- The emotional maturity to deal with potentially distressing issues and challenging situations
- An interest in health and social issues and in developing programmes that will improve public health
- A willingness to take responsibility and make appropriate professional judgements with confidence.
As a hiring manager, recruiting an ideal Health Visitor starts with crafting a good job description. Use this Health Visitor job description template to save yourself time and help you attract the most qualified candidates. Feel free to revise it to meet your specific needs. Job seekers interviewing for the role of a Health Visitor may also reference it in preparation for the interview.
Similar to Health Visitor Job Description