Job descriptions Sample Templates How to do it yourself Words and Meanings Interview questions and answersJobs > Education and Training > Counseling Psychologist at American University of Nigeria
Counseling Psychologist at American University of Nigeria
Mar 6, 2020, 4:07 PM
The American University of Nigeria was founded in response to the need for a world-class university in sub-Saharan Africa. The University’s mission is to provide quality education to Nigeria and Africa’s future leaders in order to equip them with the skills needed to solve development issues on the continent, and give them the knowledge needed to create solutions that will benefit their community, their country and, ultimately, the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below: Job Title: Counseling Psychologist Location: Yola, Adamawa Department: Student Affairs
Summary of Position
- University-age students face many new challenges, and the Counseling Psychologist is a vital support person for students as they navigate young adulthood. Some of these challenges include anxiety, which can relate to life and career decisions or relationship challenges with family, new friends, roommates, new romantic relationships, or understanding expectations of their professors. University students can also lapse into depression over grades or other stress related to university life, and this can lead to self-harm behaviors, drug or alcohol abuse, or trauma reactions. Some students develop eating disorders, or feel marginalized or bullied. As a development university, we provide the support necessary to help our students develop the skills necessary to manage all of these new challenges, and the counseling psychologist is on the frontline as a safety net and reassurance that we provide a safe environment for all students to succeed.
- The Counseling Psychologist, Student Affairs is charged with the responsibility of advocating and helping students achieve personal, social and emotional success. The duties shall include but not limited to individual counseling, group therapy, behavioral disorders, substance abuse disorders, youth and crisis counselling in accordance with established policies and procedures of the American University of Nigeria.
- Should possess strong organizational and student-relation skills.
- Should possess strong written and oral communications skills.
- Should be proficient in the use of Information and Communications Technology tools and e-resources.
- A Master's degree in Psychology from a recognized University plus five years’ experience garnered as a Counseling Psychologist. Preference will be given to individuals with a strong clinical background.
- Experience of working in an academic environment is highly beneficial.
- Skill in developing and maintaining effective working relationships.
- Skill in typing/word processing and use of personal computer/software.
- Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy in all assessments and evaluations.
- Ability to maintain a high degree of professionalism and confidentiality in the face of highly emotive and distressing problems with students and staff alike.
- Ability to develop a work schedule, set goals, create and implement action plans and monitor progress towards goals.
- Work collaboratively and cooperatively with others.
- Work under pressure.
- Possess great organization skills and planning.
- Perform to earn the full confidence required of a Counseling professional.
- Assure discreet handling of all issues.
Description of Benefits Salary and benefits are commensurate with experience and job classification as approved by the University.
How to Apply Interested and qualified candidates should send their Resume, Cover Letter and References to: firstname.lastname@example.org The position being applied for should be the subject of the email. Or Click here to apply NoteApplication Deadline 19th March, 2020.
- This position is local position and opens to indigenous and/or legal residents of Nigeria.
- AUN is an equal opportunity employer and strives to provide a culturally diverse workforce; we do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race creed, colour, nationality, origin, age, sex, religion and marital status.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Subscribe to Free Job Alerts!
Being aware and applying for jobs on time increases your chances of getting a job. Information is key. Subscribe to our free job alerts