Cultural Affairs Assistant at the U.S. Embassy, Abuja
The U.S. Mission to Nigeria comprises of the Embassy in Abuja, FCT, and the Consulate General in Lagos. U.S. Consulate General Lagos is the Mission’s representative to the Nigerian people in the southern region.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Cultural Affairs Assistant
Announcement Number: Abuja-2021-067RA
Series / Grade: LE - 6005 8
Work Schedule: Full-time - 40 hours per week
Promotion Potential: LE-8
- Hiring Path: Open to the public
For USEFM - FP is 5/1. Actual FP salary determined by Washington D.C.
- Who May Apply / Clarification From the Agency: All Interested Applicants / All Sources
- Security Clearance Required: Public Trust - Background Investigation
- Appointment Type: Permanent
- Appointment Type Details: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
- Supervisory Position: No
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: No
- Travel Required: Not Required
- Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances / certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Under the supervision of the Cultural Affairs Officer (CAO), the incumbent serves as Public Affairs Section (PAS) Abuja's Program Control LES and liaison with U.S. Government-Nigeria Alumni Associations, especially in northern Nigerian (regions covered by PAS Abuja).
- The cultural Affairs Assistant is also the principal point of contact and coordinator for post programming connected with certain ECA-related initiatives. Plans and leads PAS Abuja special outreach programs targeting youth, women, interfaith leaders, and conflict resolution activities.
- Incumbent will serve as both an advisor and counsellor to Nigeria exchange grantees and public affair/diplomacy staff members in all matters related to alumni outreach programs, alumni grant possibilities and proposals, target of opportunity projects and exchanges.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience in progressively responsible people-to-people program outreach and program/project administration; work and involvement in cultural activities, public affairs, or teaching is required.
- NYSC Certificate or Exemption document is required.
- University Degree is required.
- Working knowledge of Nigeria political, economic, social, and educational structure; institutions, political parties, and history is required.
- This may be tested. Please specify your level of proficiency in the languages listed.
- Fluent in speaking/reading/writing of English is required. Good working knowledge in speaking Hausa Language is required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to communicate effectively with the public - orally and in writing, electronically and/or through social and traditional media.
- Ability to draft cables, memo, evaluate reports and correspondence is required. Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suites and the ability to manage information on proprietary software and databases is required.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
Hiring Preference Selection Process:
- Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below.
- Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application.
- Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification.
- A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant.
- The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
USD $42,570 (N8,664,538) Annually.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
- To apply for this position, click the "Apply to this Vacancy” button at the top of the page. Click on the “Submit Application” button to complete your application process.
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information - the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
- Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria.
- For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
- For More Info: HR Section - 09-461-4000; [email protected]
Application Deadline 22nd July, 2021.