Job descriptions Sample Templates How to do it yourself Words and Meanings Interview questions and answersJobs > Agricultural / Agro-Allied > Demand Creation Officer at HarvestPlus - International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA)
Demand Creation Officer at HarvestPlus - International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA)
Feb 13, 2020, 11:47 AM
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture, on behalf of HarvestPlus, seeks suitable Nigerian for the position below at its country office in Ibadan:
Job Title: Demand Creation Officer Ref: IITA-HR-NRS2020-006 Location: Ibadan Contract: 2-year renewable contract
Duties Successful candidate will among other things perform the following duties: Demand Creation:
- Develop innovative communication tools with captivating messages to spur demand for bio-fortified crops and foods
- Work with investors to plan and implement demand creation activities including advertisement and promotions using awareness creation platforms like roadshows, fairs, community events, media and outreach programs etc.
- Oversee and provide close support to project implementing partners in the implementation of demand creation activities
- Promote appropriate and effective use of social and behavior change methodologies and research techniques to build demand creation and support SMEs on the execution of marketing / demand creation activities
- Contribute to quarterly lessons identification and learning documentation and dissemination on-demand creation
- Support the identification and hiring of a mix of creative agencies to design and implement campaigns building on opportunities already identified and if necessary, from new insight generation activities
- Support the development of a strategy / plan for managing communications to counter public (and government) perceptions of linkages to GM crops
- Facilitate the establishment and strengthening of sales outlets to ensure increased farmer and consumer access to bio-fortified seeds and foods
- Work with relevant regulatory agencies to ensure quality control of processed products to engender consumer trust and ensure repeated purchased by consumers
- Work with relevant teams to map existing and new product distribution outlets and link information to aggregator and distributor networks
- Work closely with the project marketing team to develop and implement demand creation strategies for bio-fortified crops and foods
- Manage the delivery of core communications resources and assets, including reports, briefings, factsheets, profiles and coordinate production (design and printing) in line with HarvestPlus brand guidelines, and manage the distribution
- Develop relevant documents, including strategies, proposals, donor reports, and other technical documents, to ensure proper reporting with well written and clear communication messages
- Work with relevant staff to develop communication materials including press releases, newsletters, articles, website pages, brochures, banners, posters, guidelines, etc, to support partners and investors
- Develop and evaluate feasibility, efficiency, and quality of Information Education and Communication (IEC) materials
- Develop and direct the implementation of the communications strategy for HarvestPlus, ensuring integration and alignment with the country office strategy, and targeting key audiences to build profile and support for HarvestPlus work
- Provide technical, editorial, documentation and communication support during project events such as Nutritious Food Fair, farmers' days, etc
- Develop compelling stories - features, photo and video stories, and events that reinforce HarvestPlus brand, while managing regular and efficient sharing and exchange of information through effective internal communications to bring to life HarvestPlus work
- Proactively identify media opportunities and, in close liaison with HarvestPlus partners, plan and implement media events including press conferences
- Oversee monitoring of the current and future news agenda to identify and exploit communications opportunities, manage press enquires and pursue opportunities for promoting HarvestPlus
- Oversee management of media contact and communications database and execute and monitor media strategies and activities, including press conferences, one-to-one briefings, press releases, and other written materials
- Link HarvestPlus Nigeria advocacy campaigns to other regional and international campaigns, and keep stakeholders and partners informed on various HarvestPlus activities
- Prepare and submit project demand creation activity reports to management
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Supervisor
- Maintain positive profile through impactful media and outreach campaigns across key external online and offline communications channels
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with targeted online, print and broadcast journalists, editorial writers, bloggers, and columnists, as well as other media influencers, and mobilize them for HarvestPlus events
- Monitor the media landscape with a special focus on brand and image attacks and work with appropriate internal stakeholders to formulate responses as required.
- Limit and prevent crisis communications by providing frequent updates and critical messaging on FAQs
- Oversee and manage the program’s digital media strategy, ensuring that website and social media channels content are updated and engaging
- Contribute to communication capacity-building for partners and stakeholders, including developing training programs and guidelines to support and ensure partners can detect, shape and tell their stories of social change and ensure these stories are further incorporated to wider HarvestPlus communications
- Master's degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, Agricultural Extension or related field with a Minimum of three (3) years’ work experience in communications, branding media, and public relations.
- Ability to effectively convey program goals, enlist partnerships, and work with a range of program and external stakeholders
- High degree of motivation, initiative, independence, reliability, adaptability, and professional maturity
- Strong command of English – possess excellent oral and written communication, interpersonal, presentation, client management, social skills
- Experience working with a diverse team including web developers, journalists, graphic artists
- Working experience with DFID, BMGF, and USAID funded programs
- Deep understanding of marketing and communications principles – strategy & execution
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Outlook applications, Cloud data storage tools like Google Drive, DropBox, OneDrive, etc
- Social media knowledge and experience - adept at using major social media platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram
- Proven skills in writing, editing and proofreading, concept and brand creation
Remuneration We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
How to Apply Interested and qualified candidates should complete the online application below, attaching detailed Cover Letter and Curriculum Vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word. The application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include the applicant’s current or previous direct Supervisor, a professional colleague and evidence of current remuneration package. Click here to apply Click here for more Information (PDF) NoteApplication Deadline 26th February, 2020.
- IITA is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from women candidates
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Subscribe to Free Job Alerts!
Being aware and applying for jobs on time increases your chances of getting a job. Information is key. Subscribe to our free job alerts