Director, Public Policy - West Africa at MasterCard
Mastercard - We are the global technology company behind the world’s fastest payments processing network. We are a vehicle for commerce, a connection to financial systems for the previously excluded, a technology innovation lab, and the home of Priceless®. We ensure every employee has the opportunity to be a part of something bigger and to change lives. We believe as our company grows, so should you. We believe in connecting everyone to endless, priceless possibilities.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Director, Public Policy - West Africa
Job ID: R-196671
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Job Type Full time
- An experienced public policy practitioner to drive Mastercard’s advocacy efforts in a cluster of countries in Western Africa, with the flexibility to take different responsibilities in other clusters within Sub-Saharan Africa or the wider Eastern Europe, Middle East and Africa (EEMEA) region, depending on function and business needs.
- The successful candidate will bring a positive commitment to joining a dynamic and collaborative team focused on the formulation and implementation of strategic plans for government and third-party influencer engagement to positively shape the policy debate and outcome.
The Key Objectives Are
- Position Mastercard as a trusted partner and enabler of the national agenda, focusing on accelerating the migration to digital payments to enable digital economies, spur innovation and drive financial inclusion.
- Enable business and safeguard Mastercard's interests by advocating a conducive policy and regulatory environment.
- Create a positive cycle of engagement whereby Mastercard’s policy advocacy is reinforced by demonstrating the company’s local relevance and value proposition through strategic communications and government programs.
- Based in Lagos or Abuja, the jobholder will work closely with colleagues in the business, legal and regulatory functions to ensure issues that are of concern to Mastercard are identified and managed in a way that benefits Mastercard and our stakeholders.
- Develop and execute public policy strategy and implementable engagement programs for the countries in scope. These programs will be designed to both preemptively and reactively head-off and respond to legislative, policy and regulatory threats to Mastercard and the electronic payments industry.
- Brief country, regional and global executive management on relevant policy developments, recommend appropriate course of action and work closely with internal stakeholders to move the agenda forward.
- Establish and enhance relationships with key government officials and third-party influencers.
- Coordinate Industry cooperation efforts on non-competitive public policy issues and represent Mastercard in Industry forums, associations and related forums and activities.
- Manage external agencies to represent and advocate Mastercard's interests.
- University Degree level, with experience in similar Public Policy or Government Relations roles in a major multinational business, consultancy, government, trade association or regulatory authority.
- The ideal candidate will have a distinguished track record as a high-achieving public policy practitioner with a demonstrated capability to develop and successfully execute policy advocacy programs.
- Willing to travel both within the countries of scope, and as necessary to the regional headquarters in Dubai, global headquarters in the US or other Mastercard locations.
- Knowledge and experience in technology, financial services and the payments sector are valued. The candidate needs not be currently working in these sectors, but prior experience/familiarity is a clear plus.
- Corporate Security Responsibility
- An intimate working knowledge of the processes and inner workings of the legislative and political process and an ability to analyze the impact of legislation on Mastercard and develop strategies to move the company’s interests forward.
- Strong leadership skills, sound priority-setting, strategic thinking and communication, ability to work autonomously and to handle multiple priorities, and inscrutable integrity.
- A collaborative team player who will work well with senior management and peers, as a high-energy, self-motivated and results-driven individual.
- Must possess strong analytical approach to problem-solving, ability to develop creative solutions to complex problems, ability to deal with short deadlines and to work productively in high-pressure situations in dynamic commercial and policy environments.
- Excellent written and spoken English communication and interpersonal skills as a foundation for developing and maintaining strong relationships at all levels, cross-functionally and across business units and geographies within Mastercard.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply