Finance and Grants Accountant at the Wellbeing Foundation Africa (WBFA)
The Wellbeing Foundation Africa (WBFA), founded in 2004 was created to improve health outcomes for women, infants, and children while working towards the systemic and structural changes in the areas of Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WASH), Gender Equality, and Opportunity (GEO).
At the WBFA, we combine our programs with advocacy work in Nigeria and worldwide, allowing every health worker, mother, and child access to life-altering advice, opportunities, and health solutions.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance and Grants Accountant
Working Hours: 37.5 hours a week
Duration: Initial 12 month contract (3-month probationary period)
Responsible To: Country Director
Scope of Work
- We are seeking a highly motivated, results-oriented individual with strong analytical and financial acumen to fill the Finance and Grant Accountant role.
- The successful candidate will manage the financial accounting for the organization. A candidate with experience in the international NGO sector would be preferable, but more importantly, the candidate will be adept in accounting, planning, and budgetary management. Ad hoc finance tasks would also be required of the candidate.
- The Finance Accountant will be responsible for WBFA’s day-to-day endowment programs accounting related functions, including but not limited to financial compliance, financial management, accounting, budgeting, and budget monitoring per WBFA’s policies, strategies, plans, and decisions made by the Board of Trustees, the Founder-President and Senior Management.
- Enhance and maintain an adequate system for compliance, finance & accounting, & budgeting within WBFA as required to facilitate the delivery of WBFA’s programmatic objectives and achievement of results.
- Effective coordination, communication, and collaboration are established and maintained across WBFA and within-country stakeholders for the effective and efficient financial management of grants and programs fully compliant with WBFA internal control procedures and national policies/regulations.
- Essential financial office services are effectively provided to enhance staff productivity.
- Review financial transactions to ensure accuracy of information and compliance;
- Make payments, such as reimbursements, cash advances, and direct transfers to vendors on time;
- Ensure financial vouchers and requisitions have sufficient supporting documentation;
- Oversee the finance and admin procedures to ensure that information and payment requests are reconciled against vouchers.
- Lead in the monthly endowment programs close processes;
- Reconcile monthly bank account balances;
- Review accounting transactions to ensure accuracy of information and compliance with policies and procedures;
- Lead in the monitoring of financial activities for the founders endowment and prepare expenditure reports for program managers as needed;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with program managers/staff members;
- Lead in the preparation of annual organizational budgets and periodic forecasts;
- Assist in preparing donor budget proposals as needed
- Assist in the preparation of audits financial statements if required.
- Prepare monthly preliminary and final financial statements for the country program;
- Use accounting tools to coordinate with Program Managers in following up their monthly internal cash forecast, and measure project budget variance;
Statutory and Regulatory Compliance:
- Coordinate with auditors for annual audits and coordinate donor audits;
- Maintain banking relationships;
- Work closely with the legal advisors for labour laws and other legal matters.
- Bachelor's Degree in Finance or Accounting, Banking or a related financial discipline
- Master's Degree in Finance or recognized accounting professional qualification (e.g., ICAN) will be an added advantage
- High level of integrity and dependability with leadership qualities
- Experience in managing donors' funds and executing their financial reporting requirements
- Highly developed analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication
- Minimum of 3 years of professional experience in a rigorous organization
- Excellent Knowledge of Microsoft Operating Systems with a strong command over MS Excel
- Working Knowledge of ERP Accounting Software (Knowledge of QuickBooks and Unit 4/Agresso will be an added advantage)
N250,000 / Month.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letter to: [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the email