Finance Manager at the Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN)
The Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN) is a Swiss-based foundation launched at the UN in 2002 to tackle the human suffering caused by malnutrition. Working with both governments and businesses, we aim to transform food systems so that they deliver more nutritious food for all people. In particular, we aim to make healthier food choices more desirable, more available, and more affordable. GAIN’s mission is to advance nutrition outcomes by improving consumption of nutritious and safe food for all people, especially the most vulnerable to malnutrition.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance Manager
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Classification: C5 - Manager
Direct reports: 1 - 5
Travel required: Limited
Duration: 24 Months
- The Finance Manager is a key position in the Nigeria country office. This position is expected to lead on all aspects of finance and provide essential financial services to the programme operations teams whilst ensuring compliance with global GAIN policies, systems and procedures.
- The Finance Manager is expected to be both responsive and proactive to operational requirements with an ability to plan the work of programme support.
- The post holder will ensure that appropriate financial regulations and controls are always in place for the country office and in use; compliance with external requirements, such as local laws and regulations and donor, partner, service provider and vendor contractual obligations. They are responsible for safeguarding GAIN’s interest in these transactions and interactions, providing effective first level stewardship of GAIN’s assets, resources, staff and premises.
- The role will report to the Head of Operations and provide essential support to the staff and consultants in maintaining good relationships with external stakeholders.
Tasks and Responsibilities
Finance, Budget and Grants Management:
- The Finance Manager is responsible for the supervision and coordination of the finance, budget and grant function in the country office.
- Ensuring availability of Finance manual and procedures, their understanding by staff, executive agencies and consultants and their successful implementation.
- Supervising the finance section and ensuring financial transactions are recorded in line with GAIN norms and standards in timely fashion. Manage office funds and maintain financial records including ledger, journal, petty cash and cash books and bank details. Manage receivables and payables in line with GAIN guidelines.
- Preparing cash flow and fund flow statements for review.
- Overseeing monthly closing, ensuring all transactions for the month are recorded accurately and deadlines set by the global finance team are met.
- In coordination with consultants and programme teams at country office and headquarter, engaging in timely preparation of budgets and quarterly pipelines.
- Ensuring preparation and availability of statutory financial records (e.g. income tax return) and tax compliance and compliances relating to foreign grants.
- Securing the proper filling and storage of all financial records.
- Overseeing the proper monitoring of GAIN’s funds and assets which are transferred to EAs (Executive Agencies) for the implementation of GAIN programmes.
- Managing the external audits of GAIN Nigeria.
- Ensuring the accurate and timely release of salaries and other payments to staff. Checking the changes in salary as prepared by the HR officer and maintaining the consistencies with country office and HQ HR records.Coordinating with local banks and ensuring a timely review of bank statements and bank reconciliation.
- Supporting the Head of Operations on preparation of programme budgets, analysis of grants and expenditure.
- Preparing country budgets and finalizing them in collaboration with the global finance team and programme departments.
Support resource mobilization, diversifying revenue growth, programme quality and impact agenda:
- Leading in the development of costings and budgets for new project development with support from the Head of Operations, Country team and the global finance team.
- Supporting the Country team to leverage resources, new business development and diversify revenue growth.
- Supporting the programme team to develop best practices on budgets and grants management that can attract potential donors.
- Monitoring field work and partners to verify financial expenditure and reports and provide technical support to partners and programme team on effective use of resources.
Donor Reporting and Donor Forecasting:
- Maintaining a schedule of financial reporting deadlines to donors, as part of the donor coordination records in close liaison with project staff.
- Liaising with the Head of Operations, project and international finance staff to ensure that financial reporting templates for all grants are set up in accordance with donor requirements.
- Assisting the project managers in ensuring consistency between the narrative and financial elements of reports to the donors
- As part of the finance team, maintaining file records of donor grants received and reports submitted to donors and ensure that all grant income due are promptly applied for.
- Compiling financial reports to donors as and when required, based on financial data extracted from Navision.
- Providing regular information to the International Finance Manager on indirect costs charged to projects (salaries, infrastructure, and management charges) for journal posting to the accounts, and to assist in reconciling these charges to donor financial reports as they are produced.
- Line managing a number of direct reports including supporting work plan development and performance management.
- Developing team members in order to maximize their contribution to the team and organization.
- Ensuring the recruitment, management and development of high performing team in line with the demands of the finance and accounting needs of the country programme.
Key Organizational Relationships:
- The Finance Manager will report to the Head of Operations.
- GAIN Nigeria Staff.
- Legal retainers / Auditor / Tax consultant.
- Vendors / Landlord / Consultants.
- Government functionaries.
- Work closely with the finance and accounts teams in the Geneva and London offices.
- Professional accounting qualification.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Accounting, and other allied sciences or equivalent work experience
- Post Graduate Degree in Finance or Business Management desirable.
- Substantial experience in a similar finance managerial position, internal audit / compliance, and supervision of other staff.
- Computer literacy with excellent` MS word, MS Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and QuickBooks skills.
- Experience using QuickBooks, Navision or similar accounting software required.
- Familiarity with Salesforce is a plus.
- Experience working with an International NGO preferred.
- Experience in managing donor grants such as BMZ, BMGF, DFID, USAID, EU, etc
- Experience in managing private sector funding and external consultancies.
Competencies (Skills and Attributes):
- Ability to plan and organize a substantial workload that includes complex diverse tasks and responsibilities.
- Problem-solving, decision making and delegation skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills (English)
- High-level integrity.
- Sound judgment.
- Ability to cooperate with others and work in a participatory manner to achieve established goals.
- Compassion, tact and sensitivity.
- Leadership skills, including the ability to supervise and motivate staff effectively.
- Ability to coach, mentor and provide guidance to supervised staff.
- Ability to work without close supervision.
- Knowledge and skill on introducing and implementing GED (Gender Equity and Diversity) principles.
- Business English is required
- Local Language is desirable.
What We Offer
- The salary on offer for this role is from NGN 10,645,932 - 12,172,467 per annum, dependent on experience.
- Flexible working hours.
- Friendly working environment.
- Professional development opportunities.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 9th November, 2021.