ICT Assistant at Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action - helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: ICT Assistant
Reference Number: ABV/OPS/2020/0026
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Position Status: Full-time
General Position Summary
Essential Job Responsibilities
- This position is responsible for proactively anticipating and supporting the IT needs of Maiduguri office and deep field offices in Mercy Corps Nigeria. This person will assist the ICT Officer in managing ICT systems in Maiduguri.
- The ICT Assistant will conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Read and understand the Mercy corps IT Systems Policy on appropriate use. Orient staff on appropriate use and monitor user activities to ensure adherence to these policies.
- Conduct staff training on computer basics and the use of MS Office applications and networking. Assist, as needed, with developing databases or other windows application needs for program and operational staff.
- Responsible use and confidentiality of any information identified as sensitive.
- Maintain the Mercy Corps mail server and assign addresses as instructed by ICT Officer.
- Maintain proper documentation of all IT equipment including; system profiles, warranties and IT stock/accessories; Organize and maintain a central filing system of satellite systems in MC office.
- Assist in the identifying specification, relocation and assembly of any equipment including computers, printers, accessories and satellite systems in all offices, as required.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Regularly update anti-virus programs and ensure the entire network and computers are virus-free.
- Assist the IT Officer in establishing a clear, back-up policy for the Mercy Corps office and undertake the necessary steps for this activity including designing a schedule and materials list. Ensure back up and archives are made and stored as scheduled.
- Under the guidance of the ICT Officer, undertake the repairing and maintaining of LAN-s, internet systems and general IT maintenance and training.
- Oversee repair of computers and IT equipment at a local level, when possible - facilitate and advise on best, safest and most economic solutions in consultation with the ICT Officer.
- Maintain an efficient Local Area Network for Mercy Corps office. Do not change the current design of configurations without written approval after analysis by the ICT Officer and the Operations Manager. Current designs are appropriate for the programmatic needs for the office and any additions or changes require prior approval and planning.
- Identify equipment and accessories required for the smooth functioning of computers and IT equipment in Mercy Corps offices. Facilitate the purchase of items through the Procurement Department.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
Accountabilities to Beneficiaries
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.а
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves professionally and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
- Reports Directly To: ICT Officer
- Works Directly With: Mercy Corps ICT Team and all other Mercy Corps staff.
Required Experience and Knowledge
- Mercy Corps has zero tolerance of every form of abuse and expects team members, operations and programs to do no harm to the people and communities with which we work or put anyone, especially vulnerable populations at risk of abuse or exploitation.
- A minimum of three years experience in an information technology system (IT).
- A relevant university degree in Computer Sciences is desirable.
- Experience for upright maintenance of all internet account, Logins and account status.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members is required.
- Ability to troubleshoot, plan and design low maintenance systems is a must.
- Ability to troubleshoot and maintain both wireless and cable connections is required.
- Must understand, follow and implement existing policies on IT equipment use and best practices.
- Experience in both hardware and software requirements in local area networking (LAN); experience in the configuration of an internal email system as per the local area networking (LAN).
- Exclusive knowledge of internet, proxy, pop mail, and TCPIP settings, Linux and Windows applications.
- The successful candidate will be proactive, creative and a problem solver. S/he will be conscientious with an excellent sense of judgment.
- S/he will be able to thrive in a fast-paced environment and will be capable of multitasking.
- S/he will demonstrate a strong understanding of the cultural and social environment in the region and have the willingness and ability to work effectively with a wide verity of people.
Living and Environment Conditions:
- This position will be based in Maiduguri with an estimated 40% travel, primarily to deep field offices, program locations anywhere within Northeast Nigeria.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their CV and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- All applications must include the position title and Reference Number in the subject line
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview
- We are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position
12th June, 2020.