IT Assistant at Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action - helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: IT Assistant
Position Status: Full-time regular employee
Reports Directly To: Senior Operations Officer Gombe
Works Directly With: All staff
Program / Department Summary
- Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its interventions on humanitarian assistance, economic development, and conflict mitigation. With the ongoing insurgency in Northeast Nigeria causing the displacement of millions of individuals, Mercy Corps started its humanitarian response in 2014 to address the rising humanitarian needs.
- As the crisis has persisted, Mercy Corps’ strategy has also expanded to address the root causes of the conflict and seek to build the long-term resilience of communities with integrated programs focusing on governance, the recovery of markets and livelihoods, social cohesion and social protection, youth empowerment, and local conflict management.
General Position Summary
- This position is responsible for proactively anticipating and supporting the IT needs of Mercy Corps Gombe Office. The job holder will work under the supervision of, and in collaboration with the Senior Operations Officer Gombe to monitor and maintain all IT Systems in Mercy Corps Gombe office.
Essential Job Functions
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Read, understand, and regularly update the Mercy Corps IT Policy. Conduct IT orientations for new staff (Also periodically conduct refresher training) on the IT Policy. Monitor user activities to ensure adherence to these policies.
- Conduct staff training on computer basics, use of MS Office 365 and other productivity tools and applications as used in Mercy Corps.
- Maintain an efficient Local Area Network for the Mercy Corps office.
- Identify equipment and accessories required for the smooth functioning of computers and IT equipment in Mercy Corps offices. Facilitate the purchase of items through the Procurement Department.
- Work with the IT Systems Administrator (and Asset Controller) to document and maintain all IT equipment/systems information to include but not limited to (specifications, system profiles, MAC address, IP Addresses, Network diagrams etc.)
- Assist the procurement team under the guidance of the IT Systems Administrator to provide specifications on IT Equipment/Systems purchases.
- Responsible use and confidentiality of any information identified as sensitive.
- Regularly monitor the health and update status of Operating systems and Antivirus on each computer on the network and ensure a virus, malware-free network.
- Assist the IT Systems Administrator in establishing a clear, backup policy for the Mercy Corps office and undertake the necessary steps for this activity including designing a schedule and materials list. Ensure backup and archives are made and stored as scheduled.
- Under the guidance of the IT Systems Administrator, undertake the repairing and maintaining of LAN-s, internet systems and general IT maintenance.
- Oversee repair of computers and IT equipment at a local level, when possible - facilitate and advise on best, safest and most economic solutions.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure and safe environment and are aware of IT policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient, and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
- Accountable for following Mercy Corps Manual, guidelines, policies, and procedures; the Mercy Corps Code of conduct regarding procurement activities and MC Conflict of Interest policy.
Qualification, Knowledge and Experience
- A minimum of three years experience in information technology systems (IT).
- A relevant University Degree in Computer Sciences is desirable.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members is required.
- Ability to troubleshoot, plan and design low maintenance systems is a must.
- Ability to trouble-shoot and maintain both wireless and cable connections is required.
- Must understand, follow, and implement existing policies on IT equipment use and best practices.
- Experience in both hardware and software requirements in local area networking (LAN)
- Mikrotik, CMNO, and Microsoft Office 365 Certifications are an added advantage.
- Exclusive knowledge of internet, proxy, pop mail, and TCPIP settings, windows applications.
- Experience for upright maintenance of all internet account, Logins, and account status.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps' policies, procedures, and values always and in all in-country venues.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
- Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have a sustained global impact.
- We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, colour, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability, marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
- In your statement, you are encouraged to discuss any relevant experience and demonstrate your interest. Your application will be reviewed by the Mercy Corps team and shortlisted candidates will be contacted directly for interviews.
- Mercy Corps employees represent the agency both during and outside of work hours and are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
- Female candidates who are qualified are strongly encouraged to apply
Application Deadline 3rd November, 2021.