Migration Health Nurse at the International Organization for Migration
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) - Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Migration Health Nurse
Location: Benin City, Edo
Organizational Unit: Migration Health Division
Type of Appointment: Special Short-Term (SST) 6 months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Under the overall supervision of the Migration Health Officer (MHO) and the direct supervision of the Senior Migration Health Nurse, the successful candidate will be responsible for the following duties and responsibilities in relation to the Migration Health Assessment Centre (MHAC) in Benin City, Nigeria.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Perform daily nursing activities in the Migration Health Assessment Clinic (MHAC) to fulfil the technical requirements of the resettlement countries in the areas of:
- Medical examinations - Such as checking vital signs, weight, height, visual acuity and Blood, urine or sputum collection as required;
- Laboratory testing;
- TB management;
- Treatment and referrals;
- Pre-departure procedures and medical movements;
- Documentation, certification and information transmission; and,
- Other technical areas as may be required.
- Provide information and detailed explanations to the migrants and/or refugees in relation to:
- The migration health assessment process; and,
- Treatments and referrals.
- Ensure proper identification and follow-up by:
- Comprehensive history taking;
- Accurate and thorough Biodata collection;
- Ensuring ID verification for each step of the health assessment process; and,
- Keeping a register of applicants who undergo health investigations and testing
- Follow and implement the Health Assessment Programme’s checklists and SOPs and maintain standard universal precautions within MHAC.
- • Verify samples of sputum, blood or others are properly transported to the laboratory or previously designated location.
- Maintain and monitor the MHAC pharmacy, stock, medical kits and emergency kits within the MHAC and for medical escorts if applicable.
- Provide pre and/or post counselling to migrants or refugees on TB or HIV education, prevention and management as appropriate.
- Prepare administrative reports and program updates as necessary.
- Support the planning and execution of mobile missions if applicable.
- Assist with pre-departure documents, briefings and preparations as necessary.
- Perform medical escort duties when required to ensure migrants receive continued care throughout all phases of migration (before departure, during the journey and at the final destination).
- Maintain collaborative relationships with various partners to facilitate follow-up and relevant information sharing. Partners include internal IOM departments, other health providers, panel physicians, embassies other UN agencies or NGOs and others as applicable.
- Collect statistical information and share with the Senior Migration Health Nurse or CMHO as per preset and agreed-upon format.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Nursing Degree with a minimum of three years relevant clinical experience and a valid license to practice nursing in Nigeria
- Excellent technical skills, including in phlebotomy.
- Experience in working in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience in dealing with UN policies, procedures and operations is desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality is mandatory.
- Ability to work under time constraints and deadlines in challenging settings.
- Training or working experience in the areas of Tuberculosis management, immunizations, mental health, communicable diseases, laboratory testing or public health is an advantage
- Strong analytical, organizational, and reporting skills.
- Experience in working in an international organization.
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills.
- Computer literacy required: MS Office suite (Word, Excel, Access) Page 3 / 4
- Good knowledge of clinical care especially in the Primary or secondary Health Care settings.
- Good communication skills and proven ability in working in a team.
- Counselling, health promotion, public health or migration health skills/experience is a plus.
- Self-motivated, ability to work with minimum supervision; ability to work with tight deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to maintain detail, accuracy, and confidentiality. Languages English Language is required (Oral and Written) Desirable Working knowledge of the local language Required Competencies: Behavioural The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies: Values
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station and within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, confirmation of all documents, and security clearances.
- The appointment is subject to funding confirmation. Women with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their applications via email to: [email protected] using "SVN2022.162 Benin City. Migration Health Nurse G5" as the subject of the mail.
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 11th December, 2022.
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers, and detailed curriculum vitae (CV). Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training, or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts