Public Health Specialist (Surveillance) at the U.S. Embassy
Nov 23, 2020, 5:24 PM
The U.S. Mission to Nigeria comprises of the Embassy in Abuja, FCT, and the Consulate General in Lagos. U.S. Consulate General Lagos is the Mission’s representative to the Nigerian people in the southern region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Public Health Specialist (Surveillance) - All Interested Candidates (Senior Prog. Specialist, HIV Epidemiology and Surv)
Announcement Number: Abuja-2020-057
Hiring Agency: Embassy Abuja
Series / Grade: LE - 0550 12
Promotion Potential: LE-12
Work Schedule: Full-time - 40 hours per week
- Hiring Path: Open to the public For USEFM - FP is FP-3. Actual FP salary determined by Washington D.C.
- Who May Apply / Clarification From the Agency: All Interested Applicants / All Sources
- Security Clearance Required: Public Trust - Background Investigation
- Appointment Type: Permanent
- Appointment Type Details: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
- Marketing Statement: We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees (PDF) before you apply.
- The work schedule for this position is: Full Time (40 hours per week)
- Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and / or clearances / certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Supervisory Position: No
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: No
- Travel Required: 25% or less (Job holder will accompany TDYers on site or filed visits).
- The incumbent, under the supervision of the Team Lead - Epidemiology and Surveillance, will lead and direct HIV / AIDS surveys, surveillance and implementation science activities that Center for Disease Control (CDC) Nigeria is implementing in partnership with Federal Ministry of Health (FMOH), implementing Partners (IP) and other stakeholders.
- Position serves as CDC Nigeria’s lead in supporting the Government of Nigeria (GoN) develop and / or improve data collection systems relating to surveillance activities.
- The incumbent will apply both theoretical and practical knowledge to support Strategic Information activities including epidemiology and surveillance.
- The incumbent will manage and support CDC implementing partners.
- Carrying out these functions requires public health technical knowledge, results-oriented data analysis, advocacy, and the ability to facilitate communication and maintain collaborative working relationships with partner organizations.
- Plays an active leadership role in the Mission’s PEPFAR Strategic Information (SI) Technical Working Group (TWG) and / or the Multi-sectored Technical Group.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- MBBS (MD), or a terminal degree in one of the following disciplines: Public Health, Epidemiology, Behavioral Sciences, Demography.
- Minimum of five years’ experience in public health surveys and disease surveillance and experience in the management of HIV / AIDS, STD, TB intervention programs at the local, state or international levels that entailed responsibility for the evaluation of program activities.
- The incumbent should also have experience in use of measurement methods required for M&E, surveys / surveillance or strategic information of populations and health programs, including quantitative and qualitative research.
- Inclusive of at least two years of management experience.
- Detailed knowledge of research methods and the collection, analysis and presentation of public health / epidemiologic data in order to plan, design, direct the implementation of and strengthen procedures for collection, analysis and dissemination of HIV / AIDS epidemiological data.
- This includes knowledge of the principles, theories and practices of USG and internationally recognized standards for surveillance and survey regulations and procedures.
- Detailed knowledge of the host government health care system and structures including familiarity with Ministry of Health policies, program priorities and regulations is required.
- Good working knowledge of team management techniques to plan, organize and direct multi-disciplinary project teams and activities is required.
- Good working knowledge of overall administrative requirements in development and support of grants, contracts, memoranda of understanding and cooperative agreements is required.
- This may be tested. Please specify your level of proficiency in the language listed.
- Fluency in speaking / Writing / Reading English is required.
Skills And Abilities:
- Strong analytical skills to readily understand and discuss new surveillance program design, management, and implementation approaches are required. This includes the development of evaluation designs, use of reliable and valid instruments, and methods for data collection, analysis and reports.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills are required to develop and maintain effective, sustainable working relationships with national and international working partners and to prepare substantive and analytical reporting.
- Strong management skills are required to operate independently with limited direct supervision of day-to-day activities and to lead results-driven project teams and workgroups.
- Excellent overall computer skills (keyboarding with both speed and accuracy) and advanced skill levels in use of at least one of the more common epidemiologic data analysis software (EPINFO, STATA, SAS, or SPSS) is required.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
Hiring Preference Selection Process:
- Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant.
- The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- ** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link (PDF).
NGN 17,733,456 / USD $71,808 / Annum.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Procedures and Notice
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
- To apply for this position click the “Submit Application” button. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
- In order to qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested diploma and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to provide requested information, or the information you submit is insufficient to verify your eligibility, you will not be considered for this position.
- Residency and / or Work Permit (If applicable)
- Degree (not transcript)
- NYSC Certificate
- Certificate or License
For EFMs, in addition to the above:
- Copy of Orders / Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- DD-214 - Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information - the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
- Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria.
- For More Information: HR Section 09-461-4000 Email: HRNigeria@state.gov
Application Deadline 3rd December, 2020.