Subject Matter Expert Job Description
Job Descriptions > Consulting and Strategy > Subject Matter Expert
Common questions people ask include:
What is the job description of a Subject Matter Expert? What are the duties and responsibilities of a Subject Matter Expert? What does a Subject Matter Expert do?
Job Description of a Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Experts are definitive sources of knowledge who contribute their expertise to enhance organizational efficiency. They evaluate organizational needs, determine suitable technical solutions, and ensure that defined requirements are met.
Subject Matter Expert Duties and Responsibilities
Subject Matter Expert job description should contain a variety of functions and roles including:
- Applying subject expertise in evaluating business operations and processes.
- Identifying areas where technical solutions would improve business performance.
- Consulting across business operations, providing mentorship, and contributing specialized knowledge.
- Recommending technical solutions and determining software development requirements.
- Verifying technical reference information, including user guides, training manuals, and system requirements.
- Ensuring accurate representation of expertise prior to the distribution of technical solutions to end-users.
- Documenting processes and disseminating information to all relevant stakeholders.
- Providing subject expertise and guidance to IT developers during the software development life cycle.
- Overseeing the development, testing, and implementation of technical solutions.
- Determining whether technical solutions meet defined requirements.
Subject Matter Expert Requirements / Skills / Qualifications
Subject Matter Expert job description should include these common skills and qualifications:
- Master of Business Administration (MBA), Six Sigma Black Belt professional certification, or similar.
- Demonstrable credentials as a leading Subject Matter Expert.
- 10-15 years of experience working in the relevant area of expertise.
- Knowledge of systems and software engineering to optimally integrate subject expertise in software solution designs.
- Exceptional leadership and mentorship abilities to introduce and implement technical solutions.
- Excellent recordkeeping, as well as written and verbal communication skills.
- Advanced knowledge of business operations and project management.
- Competency in electronic business management systems, like monday.com and ProWorkflow.
- Advanced ability to recommend and implement technical solutions for cross-functional projects.
As a hiring manager, recruiting an ideal Subject Matter Expert starts with crafting a good job description. Use this Subject Matter Expert job description example to save yourself time and help you attract the most qualified candidates. Feel free to revise it to meet your specific needs. Job seekers interviewing for the role of a Subject Matter Expert may also reference it in preparation for the interview.
Similar to Subject Matter Expert Job Description