Chief Operating Officer (COO) Job Description
Job Descriptions > Executive > Chief Operating Officer (COO)
Common questions people ask include:
What is the job description of a Chief Operating Officer? What are the duties and responsibilities of a Chief Operating Officer? What does a Chief Operating Officer do?
Job Description of a Chief Operating Officer
A Chief Operating Officer, also known as Director of Operations, Operations Director or Chief Operations Officer, oversees a company’s business operations and reports to the CEO. A COO ensures the company has effective operational and financial procedures in place.
Chief Operating Officer Duties and Responsibilities
Chief Operating Officer job description should contain a variety of functions and roles including:
- Design, plan and implement business strategies, plans and procedures
- Set comprehensive goals for business growth and success
- Establish policies and procedures that promote company culture and vision
- Create reports for the management
- Take the lead in expansion activities
- Maintain relationships with partners and vendors
- Oversee daily operations and the work of executives
- Lead employees with an example
- Be a motivator for other employees
- Analyze and interpret data and metrics
Chief Operating Officer Requirements / Skills / Qualifications
Chief Operating Officer job description should include these common skills and qualifications:
- MA in Business Administration or similar relevant field
- Previous working experience as COO for (x) years
- In-depth knowledge of different business functions such as HR, Finance, marketing etc.
- Hands on experience in fundraising, strategic planning and business development
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills
- Great communication and presentation skills
- Problem-solving mindest
- Good knowledge of data analysis and KPIs
- Familiarity IT/Business infrastructure
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills
As a hiring manager, recruiting an ideal Chief Operating Officer starts with crafting a good job description. Use this Chief Operating Officer job description example to save yourself time and help you attract the most qualified candidates. Feel free to revise it to meet your specific needs. Job seekers interviewing for the role of a Chief Operating Officer may also reference it in preparation for the interview.
Similar to Chief Operating Officer (COO) Job Description