IT Operations Officer at the United Nations World Food Programme
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: IT Operations Officer
Requisition ID: 174305
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Job Type: Fixed Term
Department: Information Technologies
- These jobs are found in Country Offices (COs), Regional Bureaux (RBs), and Headquarters (HQ) and report to a more senior Information Technology (IT) Officer.
- Job holders are likely to be working under the supervision of a more experienced staff member, receiving guidance and feedback on work performed.
- They actively contribute to the compilation, analysis, maintenance and reporting of IT data to maximise the effectiveness of IT services.
- They resolve daily issues and provide timely support to the design, development and usage of systems.
- To lead foundational ICT services including connectivity, infrastructure, security telecoms, workplace management tools and user support as well as operations to enable the effective delivery of IT services.
Key Accountabilities (Not All Inclusive)
- Design and deploy Information Technology and Telecommunications systems including budgeting and planning in accordance with WFP corporate standards.
- Integrate Information IT and telecoms systems and ensure appropriate data security and access controls considering both local and wide area network issues.
- Maintain, upgrade or enhance existing systems including troubleshooting and providing continuing user support including keeping stocks of spare parts and equipment to support the repair and maintenance of ICT and telecoms equipment.
- Develop and maintain appropriate IT and telecoms contingency capacity. Ensure all offices and staff are adequately equipped and connected for work.
- Contribute to the capability building of staff through the review and/or design of appropriate training programs aimed at developing skills/knowledge in IT and Telecommunications.
- Interact effectively with internal and external colleagues and user groups to understand their needs and provide appropriate technical support.
- Coordinate with other UN agencies in order to align activities and maximise possibilities of inter-agency collaboration in the field of IT and TC.
- Prepare operational plans and identify resource requirements at the onset of an emergency operation.
- Develop technical specifications needed to facilitate procurement of TC/IT equipment and services at the least cost possible and in keeping with rules and regulations stipulated in WFP’s Non-Food Procurement Manual.
- Configure and deploy telephony, VSAT, satellite, and radio communication systems as well as LAN, WLAN and WAN technologies in WFP’s globally distributed telecommunications operations.
- Maintain and develop technical expertise and understanding of industry developments.
- Provide advice to managers and users, understanding and resolving issues, and ensuring IT policies, procedures, systems, and tools are correctly applied to support them.
- Guide and supervise more junior staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with more complex analysis and queries.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Standard Minimum Qualifications
- University Degree in Electronic or Communications Engineering, Computer Science or Information Technology supplemented with VSAT, Telephony, Radio Communication, Satellite Telecommunication and Ms Windows and Computer Networking Certifications.
- At least three years of postgraduate professional experience in the field of Information Technology and telecommunications.
- Fluency (level C) in English language and the duty station’s language, if different.
Other Specific Job Requirements:
- Supervise the IT Operations team at the Maiduguri Office.
- Manage service providers and assure IT service level agreements within delegated CO authority. Draft business cases and justifications for waivers, NFRs and supplier performance evaluations.
- Plan and organize work and write clear and concise technical documentation; communicate effectively orally and handle a large volume of work.
- Meet strict deadlines and be able to deal patiently and tactfully with people of different nationals from different cultural backgrounds.
- Design, deploy and maintain LAN, WLAN, and WAN networks, ensuring to follow corporate SDWAN architecture as well as standards for remote office set up.
Desired Experiences For Entry into The Role:
- Extensive knowledge of wired and wireless computer networks. Cisco networking and security certifications is a requirement.
- Demonstrated experience in managing technology projects.
- Experience in supervising teams.
- Hands-on knowledge of VSAT, emergency telecoms, HF/VHF radios, and telephony systems installation. GVF certification is an added advantage.
- Demonstrated experience in managing IT service delivery. ITIL certification is a requirement.
WFP offers an attractive compensation package.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 23rd November, 2022.
Terms and Conditions
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Only Nigerian nationals or holders of valid residence and work permits are eligible to apply for this position.
- Applications are to be submitted and received online and in English language only.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Canvassing is strictly prohibited. Canvassing of any sort will lead to automatic disqualification of the concerned applicant.
- The selected candidate will be employed on a fixed-term contract with a probationary period of one year.
- WFP has a zero-tolerance approach to conduct such as fraud, sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
- All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to WFP’s standards of conduct and will therefore undergo rigorous background verification internally or through third parties.
- Selected candidates will also be required to provide additional information as part of the verification exercise.
- Misrepresentation of information provided during the recruitment process may lead to disqualification or termination of employment
- WFP will not request payment at any stage of the recruitment process including at the offer stage.
- Any requests for payment should be refused and reported to local law enforcement authorities for appropriate action