Pre-School Teacher at the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA)
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
We seek suitable applicants for the position below at the Institute's Headquarters in Ibadan:
Job Title: Pre-School Teacher
Ref: STS2021 - 002
Location: Ibadan, Oyo
Recruitment Type: STS- National (6-months renewable contract)
Classroom Management Responsibilities:
- Ensure a physically and emotionally safe environment for students through positive framing, kind communication with students and adults, and predictable, consistent routines.
- Use classroom and behavioural management strategies that are positive, structured, consistent, respectful, and responsive to student needs, to build a safe, orderly, inclusive, and positive classroom community.
- Use a wide array of data to make instructional choices and create specific action plans to increase student achievement, including dynamic student grouping for small group instruction.
- Utilize an effective approach to behaviour management, time management, classroom organization and appearance, planning, teaching, and monitoring learning.
- Demonstrate an understanding of inquiry and give students choices to show their understanding.
- Encourage students to interact and work cooperatively with others and engage all students in activities.
- Promote independence and employ strategies to recognise and reward achievement of self-reliance.
- Respect all deadlines set out by the PYP Coordinator and the school and keep proper documentation.
Curriculum Related Responsibilities:
- Plan Units of Inquiry and deliver lessons by following IB curriculum framework collaboratively with the PYP Coordinator and Single Subject teachers using the agreed school systems.
- Ensure that all aspects of the IB PYP continuum are fully integrated into all learning including the Approaches to Learning and the IB Learner profile, build Student Agency and support Voice Choice and Ownership
- Prepare teaching and learning documents in line with the school policy including but not limited to weekly plans, unit planners and portfolios.
- Prepare and submit a weekly newsletter page for your class.
- Plan, execute and assess math lessons based on the school Scope and Sequence.
- Plan, execute, and assess language lessons based on the school Scope and Sequence.
- Write and implement learning objectives that are challenging and measurable.
- Prepare class for Celebrations of Learning as specified in school policy documents.
Collegiate Responsibilities & Expectations:
- Understand and live the school’s mission.
- Contribute positively to staff morale.
- Take part in all training provided by the school, both internal and external.
- Be prepared to report back about training and/or provide in-service to colleagues.
- Actively participate in Appraisal Procedures.
- Represent the school by being a good role model.
- Work as a team player.
- Maintain professional working relationships with colleagues, line managers, and administrators.
- Maintain professional relationships with students, parents, and staff.
- Model the qualities of the IB learner profile and attitudes and be an active member of the learning community.
- Take an active role in the wider community, participating in extracurricular activities, school trips, and extension activities as necessary.
- Use all school resources effectively with appropriate consideration of financial and environmental impact of all decisions with particular attention to IITA’s commitment to build an ecologically sound future that considers the issues of climate change.
- Take on active supervision during scheduled duties.
- To maintain confidentiality of privileged information about students, faculty members, and administration.
- Coordinate appropriate and ongoing displays of student work.
- Read and properly use the IB guidelines for PYP.
- Responsible for communicating effectively with external stakeholders as parents on the individual progress of students through all means used at The International School of IITA. This includes but is not limited to being responsible for: report cards, parent meetings upon school’s or parents’ request.
- Perform all other related duties that may be assigned from time to time by the line manager.
- Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood Education or related fields with a minimum of five (5) years experience in an international teaching school.
The ideal candidate must:
- Have excellent teaching skills.
- Have ability to use Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint and Excel).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidate should:
Click here to apply
- Interested applicants should complete the online application attaching detailed Cover Letter and Curriculum Vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format.
- The application must include the Names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees (which must include the applicant’s current or previous direct Supervisor, professional colleague and evidence of current remuneration package).
- IITA is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse workforce, particularly welcoming applications from women.
- While all applications will be acknowledged, please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Application Deadline 20th December, 2021.