Provost at Alvan Ikoku Federal College of Education
The Alvan Ikoku Federal College of Education, Owerri now Alvan Ikoku University of Education is located in Owerri, the capital of Imo State, Nigeria. It was established in April, 1963 as the Advanced Teachers Training College by the defunct Eastern Nigeria Government on the grounds of the Old Shell Camp, Owerri. It has since expanded across the Orlu Road on the Nworie River. It awards the National Certificate in Education (NCE) and the Professional Diploma in Education (PDE) and, in affiliation, with the University of Nigeria, Nsukka prepares for the Bachelor of Education (B.ed) since 1984. The provost is Dr. (Mrs.) Blessing C. Ijioma who also is the first female Provost of the College.
The Governing Council of Alvan Ikoku Federal College of Education, Owerri, invites applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the position of:
Job Title: Provost
Location: Owerri, Imo
- The Provost is the Chief Executive of the College and is charge d with responsibility of seeing to the day-to-day management and operations of the College.
- The successful candidate would be expected to provide a strong Academic, Administrative and Professional leadership for the College in executing the broad policies laid down by the Governing Council and Regulatory Agencies for the achievement of the objectives for which the Institution was established.
- He/she is expected to demonstrate initiative and positive managerial attributes.
Among Others, some Specific Duties of the Provost include being:
- The Chief academic administrative and accounting officer of the College.
- The Chairman of the Academic Board that directs and oversees academic activities of the College.
- A member of the Governing Council of the College in charge of providing periodic reports of the progress of the College in terms of personnel, finances and Infrastructure and ensuring that the decisions of council are carried out promptly.
- Responsible for approving and authorizing all payments and expenditures of the College in accordance with financial regulations, treasury circulars and Governing Councils decisions/directives under sound financial discipline and management.
- Responsible for ensuring that meetings of Council and its committees are held promptly.
- A person to foster good rapport with the relevant organs of the Federal Ministry of Education, National Commission for Colleges of Education (NCCE) and other professional bodies that would lead to the ultimate attainment of the mandate of the College as a Center of Excellence.
- Candidates should possess a Doctorate Degree from a recognized University in a field relevant to at least one programme in the College. He/she should be a registered and active member of the professional Association in the field of Education. The possession of a professional Teaching qualification, a minimum of Nigeria Certificate in Education (NCE) or Post Graduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) and TRCN Registration are Mandatory.
- Candidates must show evidence of good track record in result-oriented researches reaching high National and International status in their research achievements as evident in scholarly publications.
- Candidates must be a Chief Lecturer of at least five years cognate experience.
- Candidate must be of good conduct and character, possess sense of discipline, dedication, drive and resourcefulness and be able to command the respect and loyalty of the members of staff and students of the College. He/she must be able to foster healthy personal, social, ethnic, political and religious relationships
- Candidates must be proficient in ICT skills and packages and must have evidence of community services.
- Candidates must be a man/woman of vision, a goal setter and getter and one that can produce and execute a strategic plan for the College.
- Candidate must not be above the age of fifty-mine (59) years at the time of submission of application.
- Candidate must possess a minimum of fifteen (15) years of post qualification teaching/research experience in a College of Education system and in addition must have held senior teaching/research and top administrative post in a College of Education system as evidence of ability to manage human and material resources.
Terms of Appointment
- The appointment is for tenure of four (4) instance but the candidate may be eligible for re-appointment for a second and final term of four (4) years based on satisfactory performance.
The salary / remuneration are as contained in the Conditions of Services for Provisions of Federal Colleges of Education in Nigeria and as may be determined by Government policies from time to time.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit fifteen (15) copies of their Applications with up-to-date Curriculum Vitae which must include the following:
- Full Names, Surname underlined
- Marital Status and Number of Children, including the age of each
- Date and Place of Birth, Local Government Area and State of Origin
- Current Postal Address and Permanent Home Address
- Education Institutions attended with Dates
- Academic and Professional Qualification and Distinctions with Dates
- Membership of Professional Association / Bodies
- Work Experience in chronological sequence
- Present employer, Status and Salary
- Extra-curricular Activities
- Publications in standard APA format
- Names and Addresses of three (3) Referees, one of whom must be the present employer.
Applications with photocopies of Credentials and other supporting documents should be addressed and forwarded to:
Alvan lkoku Federal College of Education,
P.M.B 1033, Owerri,
Imo State, Nigeria.
Note: Candidates are required to request their referees to send confidential reports on them to the same address as above before the closing date
Application Deadline 17th March, 2022.