Vacancies at Taraba State University
Taraba State University is set up to satisfy society’s demand for discovery and dissemination of knowledge, upholding truth and social justice, rendering selfless service to the community, promoting and preserving academic freedom and fundamental values of the people and humanity in general. The University shall actively engage in teaching, research, and community service, taking into consideration the needs and aspirations of the people of Taraba State in particular and the country as a whole.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates to fill the positions below:
Job Title: Bursar
- The post of the Taraba State University (TSU) Bursar will become vacant from the 4th December 2021.
- In accordance with the provisions of the Universities (Miscellaneous Provisions) Decree No. 11 of 1993, as amended by the Universities (Miscellaneous Provision), Amended Act, 2003, the Governing Council of the University wishes to commence the process for the appointment of a suitable and qualified candidate for the position.
The Position and Duties
- The Bursar is the Chief Financial Officer of the University and is directly responsible to the Vice Chancellor for the management and control of the finances of the University
- He/she shall advise the Vice Chancellor on finance-related matters, coordinate the development and update the University's financial management plans, coordinate the preparation of periodic income and expenditure statements, balance sheet, cash flow estimates and consolidation, when necessary
- He/she shall ensure that accurate records are maintained of all assets and liabilities held by the university.
- The duties shall include monitoring monthly income and expenditure and balance sheet variance against the budget, and ensuring that they are reconciled; monitoring treasury activities including cash flow projections and forecasts for prudence and accountability, negotiating with financial and government institutions with regard to financial matters.
Requirements for the Candidate
- The candidate for the post of Bursar must possess a good earned honours Degree in Accounting, Economics, Finance or any related discipline from a recognized university, with at least ten (10) years relevant post-professional qualification experience in an institution of higher learning. Possession of a Master's Degree will be an added advantage.
- The applicant must possess any of the following professionally recognized Accountancy qualifications: ANAN, ACA, CIMA, CPA, ACCA, ICAN. The candidate is also expected to:
- Not be below the rank of Deputy Bursar;
- Show demonstrable evidence of consummate management and leadership passion and drive in previous positions and in addition, must possess excellent communication and interpersonal relationship skills;
- Exhibit the ability to be a team leader, who leads by examples and has clear mentorship skills and plans, and should not be older than sixty (60) years upon appointment and should be within the retirement age at the expiration of his/her tenure;
- Exhibit a considerable degree of competence, responsiveness, demonstrable integrity and transparency on matters of financial resource management with an outstanding experience at the management level;
- Be a person with good leadership qualities who can inspire and motivate colleagues, a person with a clear vision for the development of the university and must be ready to implement the vision of the university,
- Be focused and innovative, computer, literate and must have a good working understanding of communication by internet, and
- Must be in excellent physical and mental health.
Terms and Conditions of Service
- The Bursar shall hold office for a single term of five (5) years only on such terms and conditions as may be specified in the letter of appointment.
- The remuneration and other conditions of service are as applicable to the post of Bursar in all Public Universities in Nigeria and as may be determined from time to time by the Taraba State Government Governing Council of the University.
Job Title: Vice Chancellor
- The post of the Vice Chancellor of Taraba State University (TSU) will become vacant on Tuesday, 1st March 2022.
- In accordance with the provisions of the Universities (Miscellaneous Provisions) Amendment Act, 1993, as amended and most particularly Section 4 by Section of Universities Miscellaneous Provisions Amendment Act 2003 (gazette as Act No. 1 of 2007), the Council of the University wishes to commence the process for the selection and appointment of a new Vice Chancellor for the University and hereby invites from interested qualified and distinguished academics who must as a matter of necessity note the following information.
The Position and Duties
- The Vice Chancellor is the Chief Executive Officer and Academic Head of the University, ex-officio member of the Governing Council, and Chairman of the University Senate.
- The Vice Chancellor is responsible to the Governing Council for the day to day running of the affairs of the University. Such person must provide strategic direction to the Management, staff and students and provide advice on academic, administrative and fiscal policies to the Senate and the Governing Council of the University.
- In addition, the Vice-Chancellor is required to attract funding, initiate high priority academic work, enhance public awareness, vigorously and tirelessly pursue advocacy and promote the good image of the University.
- The Vice Chancellor is expected to be competent in recent developments in modern technologies in education and be very versatile in leadership in teaching, research and community services.
- The candidate for the post of Vice Chancellor of Taraba State University must possess a good earned PhD from a recognized University.
- In addition, the candidate must:
- Possess strong and scholarly background-at a minimum, must have been an academic Professor of good standing of at least 10 years at a reputable University
- Demonstrates continues scholarship after his promotion to the rank of Professor in terms of continued production of books, papers, students supervised (especially PhD exchanges and collaborations both within and outside Nigeria
- Possess a clear vision for the development of the University and the realization of its mission
- Demonstrate the ability to raise funds for the University
- Have a thorough working knowledge of Nigeria's educational system and familiarity with the administration of an institution accountable to multiple bodies and authorities,
- Demonstrate a clear understanding of the need to interface with the end-users/employers of Tsu graduates (especially industry and other educational institutions) in order to guide the University's social responsiveness, social accountability, and thus promote the acceptance of TSU graduates within the nation and beyond,
- Demonstrate ability and interpersonal skills to lead and motivate a team of Principal Officers, Senior Management and Staff at all levels to realize the critical objectives of the University
- Will Be inclusive and have the ability to effectively manage multicultural and multi-religious public Universities such as Tsu;
- Have an international reputation as a scholar in Universities both in Nigeria and outside in such areas as sabbaticals, International supervision and examination of PhD, conference presentations, etc;
- Be morally sound and of unimpeachable probity and Integrity and without any pecuniary embarrassment
- Be a person who is physically and mentally fit in a state of good health, with a verifiable certificate to that effect;
- Be not more than 65 years old as at the date of employment and taking over the position;
- Be a person of high academic standing and reputation in his/her respective discipline, through demonstrated membership of academic, professional bodies and organizations, both within and outside the country:
- Have extensive and deep experience in all facets of University administration with an emphasis on dual mode of education;
- Must be familiar with Management Information System (MIS) and Learning Management System (LMS) and be ready to demonstrate knowledge and familiarity with these areas beyond definitions
- Be a person who commands respect nationally and internationally especially in academic circle demonstrated through reputable international publications, Online and from any location
- Possess the ability to translate strategy into action and effectively plan, mobile and manage resources to deliver expected results, and
- Ability to develop cordial relationships with Council and other organs of the University.
Conditions of Service
- The remuneration and other Conditions of Service are as applicable to the post of the Vice Chancellor in all Public Universities in Nigeria and as may be determined from time to time by the Taraba State Government / Governing Council of the University.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should forward thirty (30) copies of their Applications and detailed curriculum vitae duly signed, with Names and Addresses of three (3) Referees in sealed envelopes, to:
The Registrar and Secretary to Council,
Taraba State University
PMB 1167 Jalingo,
- Each application including the candidate's detailed curriculum vitae duly signed
should be made in thirty (30) copies.
The curriculum vitae must contain the candidate's
name in full, age, marital status, educational attainments, nationality, professional
and academic achievements.
Each application should include the names and addresses of three referees. Each applicant should request each of his/her referees to forward, direct to the Registrar, a confidential report on the candidate's character, academic and managerial abilities in a properly sealed envelope marked "Post of Bursar: Referee's Report" with the name of candidate at the top left hand corner of the envelope.
- The Governing Council reserves the right to extend the closing date if deemed
- necessary, and/or re-advertise the position should this particular process not yield the desired results.
- This advertisement does not impose any legal obligation on the University to invite, accept or deal in whatsoever manner with any applicant.
Application Deadline 20th December, 2021.