Project Accountant Job Description
Job Descriptions > Accounting > Project Accountant
Common questions people ask include:
What is the job description of a Project Accountant? What are the duties and responsibilities of a Project Accountant? What does a Project Accountant do?
Job Description of a Project Accountant
Project Accountants are financial specialists who review project budgets. They report to Accounting Supervisors and provide pre-billing information for project managers to review. They are also required to provide cost estimates and prepare invoices.
Project Accountant Duties and Responsibilities
Project Accountant job description should contain a variety of functions and roles including:
- Reporting to the Accounting Supervisor or other project managers as required.
- Reviewing budgets, including staffing, work plans, and fee structures.
- Monitoring receivable income and supporting project managers with collections.
- Issuing invoices and purchase orders, as well as paying consultant, subcontractor, vendor, and supplier bills.
- Ensuring a steady cash flow by generating, auditing, and sending invoices in a timely manner.
- Updating contracts according to client requirements and reporting associated budget amendments.
- Providing project managers and clients with timely financial reports and budgets, as well as project forecasts.
- Preparing pre-billing reports for project managers to review.
- Preparing actual costs, working capital, and tax reports.
Project Accountant Requirements / Skills / Qualifications
Project Accountant job description should include these common skills and qualifications:
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, or similar.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Certified Management Accountant (CMA) would be advantageous.
- x years' experience as a Project Accountant, or similar.
- Exceptional ability to prepare project budgets, financial forecasts, and tax reports.
- Extensive experience in project invoicing and billing.
- In-depth knowledge of best practices in accounting.
- Excellent communication skills toward effective collaboration and client services.
- Proficiency in electronic accounting systems, such as FINSYNC and FreeAgent.
- Ability to report to the Accounting Supervisor and other project managers.
- Advanced proficiency in managing general ledgers, journal entries, and account reconciliations.
As a hiring manager, recruiting an ideal Project Accountant starts with crafting a good job description. Use this Project Accountant job description example to save yourself time and help you attract the most qualified candidates. Feel free to revise it to meet your specific needs. Job seekers interviewing for the role of a Project Accountant may also reference it in preparation for the interview.
Similar to Project Accountant Job Description