Head of Tax at Meristem Securities Limited
Meristem Securities Limited is a leading capital market conglomerate that offers Wealth Management services, Stockbroking services, Registrar services, Trustee services and Investment Banking services to our clients.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head of Tax
Job type: Full-time
Specialization(s): Accounting / Audit / Tax
- We are looking for a tax and accounting expert to manage and facilitate the accurate preparation and filing of the Group’s Tax and Related Matters.
- The ideal candidate is a team player who manages the tax team to greater performance, creates and implements tax plans and works with the accounting and leadership teams to identify opportunities for process improvement and potential areas of risk.
- The Head of Tax will ensure compliance with all tax laws locally and internationally applicable to our business and financial transactions through a series of systems and system controls that are designed to ensure accurate, timely reporting.
- He/she will monitor current and impending changes to tax regulation and make the appropriate updates to policies and strategies.
- He/she will participate in budget and project implementation with sole aim of identifying tax risks and opportunities.
- The ideal candidate is single minded in their pursuit of ensuring compliance and achieves this goal through optimizing reporting procedures and driving the successful function of the tax team.
- Facilitate and manage the preparation and review tax computations, estimates and reports accruals deductions, remittance of tax dues and filing of tax returns and the accurate within the stipulated statutory time frame, including partnering with the business units accounts, finance and legal teams.
- Find and implement opportunities for process improvement in company tax procedures.
- Develop and implement strategic tax planning for all necessary federal and state taxes.
- Manage members of the tax team in the discharge of various tax responsibilities
- Plan for and develop overall return calendar and coordinate timing and inputs with tax team.
- Maintain effective control procedures over all aspects of the tax process.
- Recommending tax strategies that align with business goals
- Management of Tax Accountants (if applicable)
- Responsible to legally minimise tax liabilities through informed application of tax laws and regulations
- Manage tax compliance, reporting, and filing works for the Group and ensure timely and accurate filing of all applicable tax returns
- Establish appropriate system or processes for tax risk management for the Group
- Act as the key point of contact and support for relevant tax authorities on taxation matters
- Liaise with tax authorities and external tax expert and provide tax audit support for the Group
- Provide internal tax advisory services and support on business operation matters to the Group
- Manage and facilitate FIRS and State Inland Revenue Service Tax Audits in conjunction with external tax expert regarding preparing responses, creating schedules, etc.
- Monitor legislative and regulatory tax law developments, communicate the effects of these developments to management and the tax team and create strategies to capitalize on changes to taxation legislation.
- Provide support with various internal audits and special tax related projects.
- Keep close contact and manage relationship with FIRS and relevant State Inland Revenue Services
- Monitor and maintain compliance with transfer pricing rules and documentation of the group
- Manage and mentor members of tax team to greater levels of effectiveness and engagement.
- Any other assignment as may be assigned by your supervisor
- Minimum of Second-Class Upper Degree in Accountancy, with ACCA, ACA, ACTI qualification.
- Master's Degree a plus but a strong requirement.
- Minimum of 8 years’ tax experience in public accounting firm (Big 4 maybe an advantage)
- Prior experience in tax strategy implementation, planning support and project management will be advantageous.
- Prior strong working relationship with FIRS and State Inland Revenue Services.
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills and meticulous
- Possess good business acumen and highly adaptive.
- Mature, proactive, resourceful, and hands-on with good initiative.
- Independent and fast worker who can work well with minimal supervision.
- Strong experience with a variety of tax operations and ability to drive process improvements.
- Strong ability to utilize project management and accounting best practices to organize and prioritize tasks and the tasks of other tax team members.
- Exceptional client service along with the ability to develop excellent client relationships
- Ability to multitask
- Proficiency in the following areas: Strong skills and experience with Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Familiar with Tax ProMax of FIRS and other relevant tools.
- Ability to work well with stakeholders and communicate the benefits of tax initiatives.
- Extensive knowledge of all tax laws and regulations applicable to our business and financial transactions
- Strong accounting, analytical, and research skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong knowledge of accounting principles, analytical and research skills and standards especially International Financial Reporting Standards
- Good at meeting deadlines and solving problems
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply