Sous Chef Job Description
Job Descriptions > Tourism and Hospitality > Sous Chef
Common questions people ask include:
What is the job description of a Sous Chef? What are the duties and responsibilities of a Sous Chef? What does a Sous Chef do?
Job Description of a Sous Chef
A Sous Chef, also known as assistant to the head chef or the head chef’s second in command, is responsible for planning and managing food preparation in restaurant kitchens. They perform a range of duties including planning menus, training new staff, and recording inventory.
Sous Chef Duties and Responsibilities
Sous Chef job description should contain a variety of functions and roles including:
- Be the main assistant to our Executive Chef
- Design menus that enhance customers’ culinary experience while keeping up high quality.
- Submit cost proposals for menu items.
- Create and test new menus.
- Provide feedback regarding the food quality of large bulk purchases.
- Ensure that all food preparation is in accordance with regulatory guidelines.
- Design standardized food presentation guidelines for each dish.
- Monitor inventory levels of commonly used items.
- Look for ways to reduce spoilage of infrequently used items.
- Hire, train, and mange staff regularly.
Sous Chef Requirements / Skills / Qualifications
Sous Chef job description should include these common skills and qualifications:
- Culinary Degree or equivalent experience.
- x years of experience as a Sous Chef or similar role
- Licensure from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), or other certifying agency.
- Ability to track expenses and manage a budget.
- Good time-management skills
- Great interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong passion for the art of food design.
- Sense of ownership and pride in your performance and its impact on company’s success
- Team player
As a hiring manager, recruiting an ideal Sous Chef starts with crafting a good job description. Use this Sous Chef job description example to save yourself time and help you attract the most qualified candidates. Feel free to revise it to meet your specific needs. Job seekers interviewing for the role of a Sous Chef may also reference it in preparation for the interview.
Similar to Sous Chef Job Description