Records Manager job description should contain a variety of functions and roles including:
- Oversee the management of electronic and/or paper-based information
- Identify the most appropriate records management resources
- Design and develop filing systems, business classification schemes and undertake records surveys
- Set up and review documenting records systems
- Establish retention and disposal schedules
- Advise on new records management policies, providing a framework to guide your staff in the management of their records and use of the employer's records system
- Standardise information sources throughout an organisation or group of organisations
- Manage the changeover from paper to electronic records management systems
- Respond to information enquiries, giving appropriate access to information
- Ensure compliance with relevant legislation and regulations
- Advise on complex legal and regulatory issues, often involving judgements in areas such as the Freedom of Information and Data Protection Acts, General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and other national or regional legislation
- Preserve corporate memory and heritage
- Manage budgets and resources
- Train and supervise records staff.
Records Manager job description should include these common skills and qualifications:
- A bachelor's degree.
- Strong communication skills to deal with senior colleagues, suppliers and contractors
- Negotiation skills to persuade senior colleagues to follow agreed record storing guidelines
- Awareness of information management principles and familiarity with information systems and archives
- Attention to detail
- Flexibility to get involved in all aspects of information provision.
- Problem-solving and analytical skills to develop an understanding of how your organisation works and build integrated records systems
- Good project management and organisational skills
- Good grasp of new technology and adapting to new IT packages and systems
As a hiring manager, recruiting an ideal Records Manager starts with crafting a good job description. Use this Records Manager job description template to save yourself time and help you attract the most qualified candidates. Feel free to revise it to meet your specific needs.
Job seekers interviewing for the role of a Records Manager may also reference it in preparation for the interview.