Commis Chef Job Description
Job Descriptions > Tourism and Hospitality > Commis Chef
Common questions people ask include:
What is the job description of a Commis Chef? What are the duties and responsibilities of a Commis Chef? What does a Commis Chef do?
Job Description of a Commis Chef
Commis Chefs are novice Chefs who work under Chef de Parties in commercial kitchens to expand their culinary knowledge and skills. They perform various kitchen duties, such as assisting Chef de Parties in meal preparations, receiving deliveries, and rotating stock.
Commis Chef Duties and Responsibilities
Commis Chef job description should contain a variety of functions and roles including:
- Accurately measuring meal ingredients for the Chef de Partie.
- Preparing meal ingredients, which includes seasoning of different meats as well as washing, peeling, and chopping vegetables and fruits.
- Preparing basic salads and sauces as directed by the Chef de Partie.
- Receiving deliveries and verifying that all ordered items have been delivered and are of good quality.
- Performing basic cleaning duties and ensuring that work stations are properly sanitized.
- Plating and presenting meal items as per the Chef de Partie’s instructions.
- Taking inventory of restaurant supplies and notifying the supervisor of low or depleted supplies.
- Discarding all expired and spoiled food items stored in the stock rooms, refrigerators, and freezers.
Commis Chef Requirements / Skills / Qualifications
Commis Chef job description should include these common skills and qualifications:
- High school diploma or GED.
- Associate’s degree, diploma, or certification in Culinary Arts is advantageous.
- A food handler's license.
- The ability to work under pressure.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Effective communication skills.
- Proven commercial kitchen experience.
- Sound knowledge of food health and safety regulations.
- The ability to stand for extended periods.
As a hiring manager, recruiting an ideal Commis Chef starts with crafting a good job description. Use this Commis Chef job description example to save yourself time and help you attract the most qualified candidates. Feel free to revise it to meet your specific needs. Job seekers interviewing for the role of a Commis Chef may also reference it in preparation for the interview.
Similar to Commis Chef Job Description