Copy Editor Job Description
Job Descriptions > Marketing and Communications > Copy Editor
Common questions people ask include:
What is the job description of a Copy Editor? What are the duties and responsibilities of a Copy Editor? What does a Copy Editor do?
Job Description of a Copy Editor
Copy Editors review and edit content for proper grammar, spelling, syntax, and layout. They primarily work in media, marketing, and advertising. They work on a range of publications, including books, journals, newspapers, websites and other electronic resources.
Copy Editors may be required to correct spelling, grammar and layout (proofreading) or check content, impose consist styles and reword or rewrite (copy-editing). This depends on the project, the employer/client and their own specialist experience. Many copy-editors/proofreaders perform both functions in tandem.
Copy Editor Duties and Responsibilities
Copy Editor job description should contain a variety of functions and roles including:
- Review and revise content for accuracy and quality, including spelling, grammar, punctuation, and syntax.
- Communicate and work with production team to ensure that content is published in a timely manner.
- Knowledge of Associated Press or Chicago Style.
- Ensure correct tone, voice, clarity, flow and structure of content.
- Ensure that content adheres to in-house style guide.
- Write blurbs, ledes, headlines, and straplines
- Compile and update style guides as required.
- Collaborate with team to come up with fresh and creative ideas, keeping audience in mind.
- Manage multiple projects and consistently meet deadlines.
- Stay abreast of latest media trends and content best practices.
Copy Editor Requirements / Skills / Qualifications
Copy Editor job description should include these common skills and qualifications:
- Bachelor's Degree in Journalism, English or related field.
- Experiencing in publishing and/or editing preferred.
- Leadership and time management skills.
- Proficient in desktop publishing software and Microsoft Office.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of SEO.
- Highly organized and detail oriented.
As a hiring manager, recruiting an ideal Copy Editor starts with crafting a good job description. Use this Copy Editor job description template to save yourself time and help you attract the most qualified candidates. Feel free to revise it to meet your specific needs. Job seekers interviewing for the role of a Copy Editor may also reference it in preparation for the interview.
Similar to Copy Editor Job Description