Mail Clerk Job Description
Job Descriptions > Administrative and Office Support > Mail Clerk
Common questions people ask include:
What is the job description of a Mail Clerk? What are the duties and responsibilities of a Mail Clerk? What does a Mail Clerk do?
Job Description of a Mail Clerk
Mail Clerks process and distribute mail throughout a company. Their primary responsibilities include sorting mail by department and category, forwarding misdirected mail and keeping an inventory of mailing supplies.
Mail Clerk Duties and Responsibilities
Mail Clerk job description should contain a variety of functions and roles including:
- Sorting mail by department and category.
- Utilizing sorting machines and similar administrative technology.
- Managing outgoing messages and packages.
- Ensuring proper labeling and packaging for outgoing post.
- Signing off on certified mail.
- Keeping detailed records of all incoming packages, including weight and dimensions.
- Logging incoming mail in company systems.
- Delivering mail to both departments and individuals, ensuring the relevant parties sign off on them.
- Arranging for deliveries with delivery companies such as FedEx.
- Forwarding misdirected mail.
- Keeping an inventory of mailing supplies, such as envelopes and stamps.
Mail Clerk Requirements / Skills / Qualifications
Mail Clerk job description should include these common skills and qualifications:
- High school diploma or GED.
- Previous mailroom experience.
- Diligence and attention to detail.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Good dexterity.
- Proficiency with sorting machines.
- Basic computer proficiency.
- Outstanding organizational skills.
As a hiring manager, recruiting an ideal Mail Clerk starts with crafting a good job description. Use this Mail Clerk job description example to save yourself time and help you attract the most qualified candidates. Feel free to revise it to meet your specific needs. Job seekers interviewing for the role of a Mail Clerk may also reference it in preparation for the interview.
Similar to Mail Clerk Job Description