Data Entry Officer Job Description
Job Descriptions > Administrative and Office Support > Data Entry Officer
Common questions people ask include:
What is the job description of a Data Entry Officer? What are the duties and responsibilities of a Data Entry Officer? What does a Data Entry Officer do?
Job Description of a Data Entry Officer
Data entry officers update, maintain and retrieve information held on computer systems. Also transfer information that is on paper to computer files. To be a data entry officer, you need a good knowledge of Maths and English skills. You’ll be able to work quickly and accurately, and pay attention to detail.
You’ll also have excellent customer service skills. In most data entry jobs, you would enter both text and figures into spreadsheets or databases. You may use ready made software packages, or software systems that have been specially designed to meet your organisation’s particular needs.
Data entry work is often combined with customer service assistant and contact centre operator roles. You do not always need qualifications to work as a data entry officer. You will also probably need a basic knowledge of word processing, spreadsheets and databases
Data Entry Officer Duties and Responsibilities
Data Entry Officer job description should contain a variety of functions and roles including:
- Gathering invoices, statements, reports, personal details, documents and information from employees, other departments and clients.
- Scanning through information to identify pertinent information.
- Correcting errors and organizing the information in a manner that will optimize swift and accurate capturing.
- Creating accurate spreadsheets.
- Entering and updating information into relevant databases.
- Ensuring data is backed up.
- Informing relevant parties regarding errors encountered.
- Storing hard copies of data in an organized manner to optimize retrieval.
- Handling additional duties from time to time.
Data Entry Officer Requirements / Skills / Qualifications
Data Entry Officer job description should include these common skills and qualifications:
- High school degree or equivalent
- Proven experience in similar role
- Fast typing skills; Knowledge of touch typing system is strongly preferred
- Excellent knowledge of word processing tools and spreadsheets (MS Office Word, Excel etc.)
- Working knowledge of office equipment and computer hardware and peripheral devices
- Basic understanding of databases
- Good command of English both oral and written and customer service skills
- Great attention to detail
As a hiring manager, recruiting an ideal Data Entry Officer starts with crafting a good job description. Use this Data Entry Officer job description template to save yourself time and help you attract the most qualified candidates. Feel free to revise it to meet your specific needs. Job seekers interviewing for the role of a Data Entry Officer may also reference it in preparation for the interview.
Similar to Data Entry Officer Job Description